1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - It's a dinosaur from the 80s, Peavey Dynabass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, May 3, 2021 at 8:11 PM.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    ha ha....just noticed that. An appliance that should not be exposed to moisture and water.

2. congrats on the new addition, just love the matching head stock :)

Maxdusty likes this.
  3. You had me at "Tremolo".... :cool:

Pauly 4001 and Maxdusty like this.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I'm admittedly rather clueless about the different bass bridges out there compared to most people on TB (which is why I go on this site to learn more, such a knowledge base we have here) but I will say I found the Kahler bridge easier to adjust than any bridge I've run into so far ( I had to do very minor tweaks to it to get the bass up to my preferences in string height, and even nudged the spacing a bit).
    I've attached a video about the bridge where you can turn the four string bridge into a five string bridge, so if you had such a bridge installed on a bass body, you could go from a four string and five string bass rather easily if you had separate necks with the strings already attached to the tuners. Not to mention you'd get that whammy bar feature too for both...er...still figuring how to incorporate that into the kind of music I play but I'll get there I hope.

Watch the video at around the 2:30 mark to see how to easily convert the bridge from a four string to a five string. Might be a good bridge option for the modders out there. While he's doing the adjustment on an unattached bridge, the same can be done easily on one that's already attached to a bass. Most of you probably know all about this about Kahler bridges but for clueless me, it was like a revelation.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 2:45 PM
  5. My Dyna Bass Five was among the first produced and has been my one and only Lo B five string since day 1 it has that perfect super jazz tone that sits perfectly in every mix and has a punchy and focused Lo B. I cannot say how many shows and recordings it has been used on.

Maxdusty likes this.
  6. Love Peavey basses from the 80's especially the, Foundation/Dyna bass with that classic body styling & pointy headstock. I've never seen a Dyna bass with a trem in the flesh, only in video's but they do look fun though enjoy it. :thumbsup::cool:

Maxdusty likes this.
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I've been keeping an eye out for older Peavey basses, this Dynabass was apparently on our FB Marketplace sitting there unsold for seven weeks. I don't know why I didn't see it before, I don't know how FB determines what's in your local market, but a few days ago was the first time I even saw the listing for it - when the price was lowered.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Peaveys may not be boutique, sexy, trendy or lightweight but they are appliances that rock on and on. From Mississippi USA, hotbed of cutting edge musical technology. Peavey never says die. Though this 1996 Korean Milestone II almost did until I relic-ed it back to life. Long live Peavey.
    DSC07472 (1).JPG

9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Did you cast your own pickup covers?

10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    No fair I want a bass tremolo!

Maxdusty likes this.
  11. What's to figure out? Some sustaining distortion should help.

Here's my whammy bass in all its glory:
    DSCF0910.JPG DSCF0903.JPG

Maxdusty and Williethump like this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    LOL I can't believe they sold the bass withOUT a battery! :roflmao: Waitaminute... yes, I can. :rollno:

13. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    That was apparently an unfortunate localized heating and/or corrosive liquid spill incident. This resulted in partial pup meltation covered up massively by 2.5 cans runny spackled Rustoleum jingle can spray paint. And they still sound great! Peavey!
    Here's what I found in back after relic-ing off the silver mud. Somebody loved this Peavey about to death. Who would cover up such folk art?
    I did make the PG though, from a broken uke. And sprayed it with hi-temp engine block dark seafoam ceramic/enamel paint in case my bassing gets too hot. Chrysler? Ford? Nice tone.
    dscn1120.jpg

Pauly 4001, Reedt2000 and Maxdusty like this.
  14. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    Congrats! That's a fine bass!

I got a 1986 Dyna-Bass in pearl-white brand new for Christmas in 1986 (just like yours, but no Kahler). It was my first "good" bass. I beat the crap out of that thing for about a decade, toured the midwest coverband circuit with it. I still have it, although it's pretty much unplayable right now (neck needs professional help, and the electronics are too dirty to make a usable sound). I keep it for sentimental reasons, and I may one day have it restored.

However, a good friend of mine, that lives right down the road from me, has the exact same bass as yours (with the Kahler). He still gigs it as his "only" bass.

Pauly 4001, Maxdusty and Williethump like this.
  15. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    I'm not a historian, but I can tell you this:
    I owned a Sarzo (and still regret selling it). When I took off the back plate to access the electronics, the circuit board literally says "Dyna-Bass" right on it.

Maxdusty likes this.
  16. Like the gold patina

Maxdusty likes this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That's friggin' Awesome!!! Love it. Dime that mother.

Reedt2000 and Maxdusty like this.
  18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    That explains a lot. Whatever the preamp on this is just blowing me away, if the Sarzo is an even better bass with this same preamp, I'm hocking a lung and to get if I ever see one. lol I've been playing for over 30 years and have tried quite a few basses over the years, why am I feeling like a kid who just got his first set of flashy wheels??
    There are definitely many great basses out there, many are out of my price range but this is one of the best surprises I've had in a while considering how inexpensive these basses can be found these days.

filwitheneff and Williethump like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021