NBD: Maruszczyk Elwood Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J_Bass, Feb 7, 2018.

1. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Hello TB!

I had this bass made for me and i have had it for a couple of weeks. I must say, I love this bass! I never had a fretless, but wanted one almost since I started playing bass, in 1999.

Now, I thought that it was time to buy a new toy for me and I don't regret it a little bit. It plays wonderfully, I love the sound, the way it fits when I play it, I can't really explain it, but it just feels right, it's awesome!

It just seems that I need to do no effort to play it, it has lots of ressonance, I can feel every note in my body. Maybe it's because it's new and I am in the honeymoon fase, but I have never felt something like this with the other basses I've played.

So, here are the specs:

Maruszczyk Elwood Fretless 4 strings.

Alder body, Ash on top and bottom, 3 tone sunburst, nitro finish.

Birdseye maple, tinted vintage neck, nitro finish.

34'', 21 "frets", 38mm, 12º radius Rosewood fingerboard with black lines and side dots.

Nordstrand Big J Blades Warm and Wooly pickups.

Standard bridge 19mm spacing, hipshot ultralight 1/2 tuners, passive VVT knobs, Schaller security locks, all black.

So, here are the pics, lots of them:

IMG_20180123_000451.jpg IMG_20180123_000624.jpg IMG_20180123_000510.jpg IMG_20180123_000635.jpg IMG_20180123_000538.jpg IMG_20180123_000643.jpg IMG_20180123_000812.jpg IMG_20180123_000917.jpg IMG_20180123_000840.jpg IMG_20180123_001010.jpg IMG_20180123_003120.jpg IMG_20180123_002342.jpg IMG_20180123_002445.jpg IMG_20180123_000720.jpg

Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Mike Griffin, ET42, Manichga and 45 others like this.
  2. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Congrats! Great looking bass!

J_Bass likes this.
  3. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Thank you!

4. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Very nice. Are there fret markers on the side of the neck?

J_Bass likes this.
  5. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Thank you.

It has black fretlines and side dots and side lines.

El-Bob and wintremute like this.
  6. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Well, we already drooled over this one in the Maruszczyk club. :cool::thumbsup:

If you haven't played fretless in the past, how are you getting along with it and what are you playing?

wmmj and J_Bass like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that's what counts! really nice looking! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

J_Bass likes this.
  8. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Thank you!

Hello, thanks!
    Well, with the fretted bass I play everything I like, different genres. Things like Rage Against the Machine, The Clash, Dire Straits, Green Day, some Blues, some Jaco, Herbie Hancock, Chic, things like that.

With the fretless I'm playing songs I already know, so that I can focus on the instrument and not on learning the song.

I love playing bass lines, but I also truly believe that the bass is a full grown instrument by now and I am looking forward to explore the fretless as a melodic, solo instrument. I have been listening to a lot of Michael Manring lately and I love the way he makes the instrument sing.

Now, I am focusing on playing correctly all the notes on Spain (Chick Corea) and The Chicken (Jaco). I know these tunes very well and I know how they are suppose to sound, so I am trying to get my fingers on the exact position on the fingerboard. I find that it's not so difficult to get the notes sound "alright", but I am already aware that it will take a long time to get it perfect. It's a difficult instrument, the fretless. Particularly above the 9th fret. The distance of the lines gets smaller very rapidly and if you are doing Continuum, for instance, you do the initial part of the melody on the 9th-11th frets, then, on the part you have to repeat the same melody one octave above, the space between the notes is very different, so it's difficult to get it perfect. This is just an example.

This is my objective for now, get to know the fingerboard, memorize the amount of stretching I have to do on the different parts of the fingerboard (1st-7th fret; 7th-12th, 12th-16th, 17th-21st). Stretching is not a problem for me, I have had classical formation on piano since I was a child, so I am used to it. Because of this, I learned to play the bass using the left hand like on the piano, all the fingers, one finger per fret. The problem is the amount of the stretch doesn't stay the same, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

After this I want to focus on some basic Bach and I want to learn So What with Miles solo. I want to learn these two songs, fresh on the fretless, but I need to know the instrument well before that.

With the fretless, when I'm noodling (I do this a lot, ahah), I am discovering a huge variety of tones! The right hand alone is capable of inumerous tones! I am learning how to play smoothly, on the fingerboard, for example. Also trying to get familiar with the natural harmonics and the "false" harmonics". When you do a simple 1/2 note riff like A-C-D-E-D-C-A (A on the 7th fret of the D string, the others on the G string), if you do a false harmonic above the neck pickup and don't move your right hand, the harmonics that resonate along with the "main notes" give a different riff that the main one. If you move the right hand accordingly to the left hand, then the false harmonics stay like the main riff. These are examples, and for most of you this isn't news at all, but I have never been able to do this so easily and so clear with a fretted bass.

So, yes, this is what I am finding fascinating about the fretless, no limits. I am seeing things on the instrument that I wasn't aware with the fretted bass. Even the 1/4 tones are insteresting!

I realized I went to long on the answer, ahah, I'm sorry about that!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    ET42, trothwell and JRA like this.
  9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    check :thumbsup:

mmmmmmmmwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! check :thumbsup:

Happy NBD :hyper::hyper::hyper: have fun!!!!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow! That is a true Beauty and a Keeper.

J_Bass likes this.
  11. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Ahah, thank you, I am really enjoying it! Just drove 30km to play it an hour on lunch time! Now another 30 to get back to work!

Wisebass likes this.
  12. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Thanks!

FunkHead likes this.
  13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Looks sweet. Who makes the bridge?

J_Bass likes this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's hot!!!!!

That black lines board is a sexy trick. "Unlined" boards really do it for me. And from three feet away that looks unlined.

Iofflight, SirMjac28 and J_Bass like this.
  15. Cheez

Cheez

Apr 13, 2009
    Nice. I have a lined Elwood L (active/passive). I love the less intrusive black lines on yours. And, I really like the simple passive controls. You made some good design choices.

J_Bass likes this.
  16. Congrats! Stunner of a bass!

J_Bass and BEADG63 like this.
  17. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    Wow, that is a real gem of a bass. Awesome burst!

J_Bass likes this.
  18. City

City Supporting Member

well Done

J_Bass likes this.
  19. That is a gorgeous sunburst!

J_Bass likes this.
  20. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Hi, thanks!

I don't know, in the website just says standard bridge:

IMG_20180208_181905.png

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021