1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Medium Scale!! Status Graphite STREAMLINE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikewalker, Dec 14, 2018.

1. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Well, it took months to get built but only ONE DAY to ship from England to the West Coast of Canada. I have a new-found respect and admiration for FedEx :)

Not to mention - THE BASS. This thing sounds MAJESTIC! Neck pickup - All tone controls flat, amp flat, pluck the open E string and let it RING... Amazing Overtones... it reminds me of the last chord of "A Day In The Life". And sustain for days, as advertised.

StatusGraphiteSTREAMLINE (2). StatusGraphiteSTREAMLINE (3). StatusGraphiteSTREAMLINE (4). StatusGraphiteSTREAMLINE (5). StatusGraphiteSTREAMLINE (1).

This bass is super clear and articulate, reminds me of a original Steinberger, but much richer sounding. And turn up the onboard bass control just a nudge, and it gets unbelievably PHAT. Based on some of the youtube clips I heard, while waiting all these months for the build, I was a little worried about this (very expensive!) custom bass sounding a little thin and plasticky. But in fact it is thick and rich, and with unbelievable reserves of brightness, if one is so inclined to blend in some bridge pup (I don't go in for extreme brightness myself, I'm totally digging just the neck pickup soloed.)

I am pretty amazed at how HUMBUCKING the electronics are. I live in the worst magnetic-noise enclave imaginable (so bad that I had to buy a lightwave optical bass for recording!) but these are hands-down the quietest magnetic pups in the whole house. Quieter than any of the EMGs! They don't even seem to need a string ground (no buzz with the fingers off the strings) I sure wasn't expecting that! (I only bought this bass for playing out).

The only fly in the ointment right now is the nut width, which is 1.72 inches (about 44 mm) Most of of my other ten basses are 1.59 inches (about 40 mm) and that extra 4 mm really jumps out at me, making this feel somewhat of a foreign object. Will the amazing sounds and light weight (6 pounds, 10 oz!) WIN ME OVER? Time will tell...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    nixdad, TolerancEJ, pudge and 14 others like this.
  2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

IMO, Status basses are the finest in the world

nixdad, Joshua and mikewalker like this.
  3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Wow. Headless made right. I wonder if they have any carbon fiber spatula basses in stores around here to try out.

mikewalker likes this.
  4. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Here i am playing mine with Bryan Ferry. Bass works great under all circumstances! :)

A6FC0D1D-5A8D-406F-BA18-DF54D9117581.

5. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Only the zippers of the gigbag are the worst quality ever. Broken within the first hour. And i am carefull...

6. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Wow, that thing looks and sounds great!

7. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    thats-hot.

I've got the 5 string 34" variant and agree wholeheartedly with your praises. It really is an amazing instrument.

mikewalker and roogbass like this.
  8. Nice Status - congrats!

mikewalker likes this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that's a great looking ax --- glad you're excited about it! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

mikewalker likes this.
  10. Congratulations Mike! I wonder how many of these there are in Canada?

mikewalker likes this.
  11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    That is a lovely looking bass, although imo the logo on the body would make me nuts.

Congrats!

mikewalker likes this.
  12. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Yeah I had originally thought about asking him to put the logo on the "headstock" ( in the bendwell ) as I had seen some older ones with that placement. But when I finally got around to placing the order, it had slipped my mind...

13. DavilaGraphite

DavilaGraphite

Jan 27, 2019
    Nice pic. I'm New here and I need help with my bass I have a Status Graphite but I don't know what series is ,? Here some pics

Attached Files:

14. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Not a Status "bass" but that appears to be a Status 'replacement' neck on some sort of (parts?) bass. I've seen lots of various basses upgraded with these necks...

15. That's awesome! I'd like a headless Stealth someday.