1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: modified Stu Hamm signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tleeitsme, Oct 7, 2017.

1. tleeitsme

tleeitsme Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2017
    So I just recently moved and didn't have a single bass with me, so I've been looking and looking for the past couple weeks. Found this sweet mamma jamma at a local mom n pop music shop yesterday. Bridge and electronics don't seem stock but I know very little about these basses so maybe yall could fill me in.

Attached Files:

2. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It's Made in Mexico, perhaps between 2001 and 2007 approximately. It will be a nice player if the frets and neck are in good condition, etc. I wouldn't pay much more than $300 or $350 for it from a pawn shop. Likely a worthwhile purchase.

3. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The rear cavity rout and side-output jack are nice features.
    Pickups look to be high-quality Seymour Duncan aftermarket.

4. That's an Urge Standard. IIRC, these had a poplar body. The Bad Ass II is definitely not standard but a worthwhile modification.

I had one years ago but only kept it for a week. I was a massive Stuart Hamm fan back in the day and was looking for something to replace a Kubicki Ex Factor I had sold. The Urge Standard I got wasn't it, I couldn't get a decent tone out of it. It sounded half-passable as a scooped slap machine with the bass and treble controls on max - which would render it practically unusable in studio or on stage. I sold it to a bloke who was looking for a shorter scale bass, to combat wrist problems.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    What do all the electronics do?

6. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    They make like all these mad wee noises, ken? Want to do all that slap bass stuff eh? Aye it'll do that 'n' all mate.

DiabolusInMusic, gfen and Stumbo like this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    That's exactly why I asked da questions. Tanks, matey!

Axstar likes this.
  8. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Wow... taking me back!

I haven't seen those Seymour Duncans in ages! SAH-WEEEEEET!!!

9. steelbed45

steelbed45 29 on Ignore

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Nice mods. Looks like a great bass!

10. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    Great basses....mine had quite a bit of neck dive =[

11. Hey Tlee and India

This is quite interesting to me. I have a similar Urge, and this is the only other two pickup Urge I have ever seen with the jack located on the side of the body instead of the front. Even on the two pickup models I have seen, the pots are both stacked like this one, with the jack on the front of the body. I noticed you have a fourth knob and that the bottom of the row of 3 knobs is also stacked.

2006_1116Image0161.jpg

I have been in touch with John Page who created the line of "Urge" basses along with Stu when he was at the Fender Custom Shop. I sent him photos of mine, and he claimed that it was either an early prototype or else possibly an employee build. Fender used to let employees build instruments for themselves and they gave them a little more latitude about what features they could build in.

Mine has active EMG pickups which were most definitely factory installed. I am wondering where you got your info about this model being the Urge Standard IIRC, because when I search nothing comes up.

Hamms.png

I have been trying for years to find out more about mine. If you have any other info, I would be appreciative.

More on mine here:

Fender Urge I Prototype

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  12. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Cool bass. I really like the style and I'm always a fan of pushing the neck pup a bit closer to the neck.

Might be worthwhile looking under the jackplate to see if there's any evidence of whether the side mounted jack is original or a mod. With the slightly odd (but not bad) placement of the 4th knob, it's entirely possible this is an aftermarket preamp that needed 4 knobs so they simply drilled another hole in the top for the knob and one in the side for the jack.

yodedude2 likes this.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Good to know, I have never seen that Seymour Duncan logo on anything. Anybody know when it was in use?

14. I've played the three pickup model and it sounded great. Does this bass sound like an active Jazz bass? I can't tell if the pickup placement makes a huge difference or not.

15. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I belive the Duncan pickups with the mini-switches were a product of the early to mid-90s. I never owned any but always heard good things. Obviously, Duncan knows what they're doing... I think that company's got a future. :smug:

Seymour Duncan has a popular forum. Google these pickups and i'm sure you'll find a plethora of info.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.