NBD - Nordstrand Acinonyx

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RodRy, Apr 21, 2021.

1. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well, after waiting since late December, it arrived yesterday. And it is indeed worth it!
    IMG_5052.JPG
    IMG_5053.JPG
    I really like how the tort looks on the green. For some reason the color rendering on my camera is not bringing out the color quite right. The actual body color is similar to the pale green from inside of an Andes mint. Pastel green tipped just slightly toward blue in the blue-yellow scale of greens.

IMG_5063.JPG
    A shot of my two most recent shorties. The SBMM StingRay has been covered a bit on this thread: NBD - SS Sterling by Music Man Stingray Daphne Blue

The new Ace is notably lighter, coming in two pounds less at 6.5 lbs. Balance without strap is quite good, and the feel of the neck is really smooth and fast.

IMG_5072.JPG IMG_5074.JPG
    Last two shots are of the tort completely uncovered. I really like the layers of the pickguard and how the edge of it looks.

I've yet to plug it in, but after a tune-up I played some acoustic and it's a bit louder than some of my other solid body basses. I figure that's because of the large route behind the pickguard. Tone unplugged is quite good.

I've heard of others saying that the push-buttons only had inked-on images for the controls, but mine has recessed images. Very nice. Oops, I will post a pic of them later, I forgot to take it so far.

I got the stock strings, and they play well. The wrap stops right on the nut, which I've never seen before. I'll post a pic of that later too.

So far, this is a splendid bass, absolutely quality. I consider it to be one of my nicer instruments. The Nordy Mute that came with it is also a cool new toy, and I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Thanks to Nordstrand and to Sonia for keeping me updated!

I'll post updates and any modifications here.

2. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    20210420_020034.jpg

PsyDocHill, kjp360, LowWay and 11 others like this.
  3. want.

4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

YES!!! Enjoy!!!!

PsyDocHill, RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  5. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Understood. Short scale, light weight, cool looks, feels great.
    :D

6. Seafoam/surf green with tort= :drool::drool::drool: !!!!!

can’t wait for your report!!

My Ibanez Talman is that color combo- and my surf green Bullet telecaster guitar has a tort guard on deck for when I get around to digging into it!!!!

Totally want!!! But...priorities...need that Ampeg Rocket Bass RB115 first! :rolleyes:

7. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Absolutely beautiful bass with oodles of retro cool! Congrats. I bet you will enjoy it.

PsyDocHill and RodRy like this.
  8. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    Nice snag!

RodRy likes this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Real cool. Plug it in! C’mon!

PsyDocHill, RodRy and BBassBassington like this.
  10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Nice!

RodRy likes this.
  11. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Very nice.

RodRy likes this.
  12. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Great looking bass!!

Your second picture shows the markings on the push buttons - on top of the buttons instead of the button face so that the player can see them.

13. I absolutely love it and the concept behind this guitar.

14. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

I ordered mine in mid-December and got it a few weeks ago. It’s amazing, and one of my favorite basses, regardless of scale. The right-side buttons do have a noticeable effect on tone, but I enjoy all of the selected setting, including flat. However, for the most part I keep both pickups on and use the mid-drop button, which is the most useful tone for what I play.

15. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Obviously not familiar with this model. So.... what do the buttons do?

RodRy likes this.
  16. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    left side are pickup configuration including all pressed for series, right side is tone control. Mine is my daily driver

RodRy likes this.
  17. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Such a fantastically cool bass, OP!!!!
    Ed Friedland got one of these not long ago and posted a very favorable review. I can see why there’s so much excitement about this bass and about its comfy low weight.

The only knock I can think of is the difficulty in pronouncing the name correctly.

18. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    ? The markings are placed so the player can see them looking down while in playing position.

19. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    ? That's what he said.

RodRy likes this.
  20. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Waterloo, ON Canada
    The markings are placed so the player can see them looking down while in playing position.

PsyDocHill, RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2021