NBD: Serek Midwestern 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mobeme23, May 22, 2019.

1. After what seemed like an eternity, I have just received my custom Serek Midwestern 2, and all i can say is...WOW!

If you have not checked out Jake's work yet, I highly recommend you do.
    www.serekbasses.com

I went with a two-pup configuration: Curtis Novak Bisonic/Darkstar (BS/DS) at the bridge, and a Guild Bisonic at the neck. Simple volume and tone controls, and a 3-way selector.

I was conflicted about whether to go with his signature bowtie inlay, or stick with dots, and i am so glad i went with the bowties after all!!

the bass is light, but feels solid and so well-made.
    every detail exceeds my expectations so far!

Photo May 22, 9 58 57 AM.jpg Photo May 22, 10 01 41 AM.jpg Photo May 22, 9 59 23 AM.jpg Photo May 22, 9 59 03 AM.jpg Photo May 22, 10 08 06 AM.jpg Photo May 22, 10 07 55 AM.jpg ...needless to say, but i am a very happy-camper right now!

GHOST AT, droo46, knumbskull and 14 others like this.
  2. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Very nice \m/

mobeme23 likes this.
  3. trickyric

trickyric Supporting Member

May 21, 2017
    South Florida
    If you don't mind telling us. What did it cost ?

4. the base-price for the MW2 was $1,750 last fall. with my specs, it priced out a little over $2k.
    i think he increased the base-price early this year to $1,950. the website has a very useful quote generator tool, so you can input all your specs to see how much your bass will cost. and Jake is very easy to work with if you have any questions.

trickyric likes this.
  5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Beautiful.

mobeme23 likes this.
  6. Hot damn! I love a Serek. This is no exception. Would love to get my hands on one some day.

mobeme23 likes this.
  7. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    @mobeme23 did you have a push-pull coil tap installed for the Novak BS/DS?

mobeme23 likes this.

8. unfortunately, not. though, even without the coil tap option, the Novak has monster tone!
    i regret not having it done, but i have plenty of options between the Guild and the Novak.

NKBassman likes this.
  9. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Cool, I was just curious what the difference in tone would be.
    Should be an easy mod to have done after the fact by any reputable tech.

mobeme23 likes this.
  10. I'm starting to love this bowtie inlay look... how do ya'll think it might look on an Ebony board?

11. I have zero regrets going for the (abalone-esque) bowtie inlays on this bass, and I really love the ways it contrasts with the fingerboard. it would probably pop a bit more on an ebony board.

one note about it, the inlay at some of the highest frets shows some slight blemish beneath the surface, as it looks like they had to do some creative filling to get the inlay to sit evenly into the wood. I can try to snap some photos if needed. It's really hard to see, and you would only notice on very close inspection.

When I get another Serek, i think I'll go with MOP dots.

Bassclef46 likes this.
  12. This may be a silly question, but... if I order a Serek, are MOP dots the standard inlay?

mobeme23 likes this.

13. i dunno... i haven't checked the "build a quote" section on their website in a while, so i can't recall what was listed as the standard inlay, if any. my guess would be MOP dots is the standard, based on their "stock" production runs.

14. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    On your original posted pics it literally looks like there are dots under the inlays at the 15, 17 and 19 fret. I love the inlays but what is going on with those dots under them?

mobeme23 likes this.
  15. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That's a beautiful bass. I've yet up play a Serek that doesn't impress.

For less than 2k, that's quite a bargain for a handmade bass

mobeme23 likes this.

16. there you have it!
    they must have drilled dot holes before they drilled for the the bowties.
    i did make the adjustment to my order toward the end of my wait-time, so there is a possibility that the dots holes had already been drilled. I guess Jake would know the answer for sure, though he didn't mention anything about it at the time...

you can also see at the 21st fret how they had to fill a gap between the inlay and the hole.
    i suspect those tall inlays at the highest frets require some serious fine-motor skills.

17. yup! it's my forever-home bass for sure, and I doubt anything will ever compare to it, imo.
    Yeah, considering how much craftsmanship and skill goes into each build, it's safe to say that you get the most thump-for-your-buck with a Serek!

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now that is a well put together bass!:thumbsup:

mobeme23 likes this.
  19. thank you, Dr.!
    it is as much fun to play as it is to look at. ;)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Really nice. What’s the scale on that?

mobeme23 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021