NBD: Squier Classic Vibe '60s Jazz Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichardW, May 10, 2021.

1. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Finally gave in to my GAS, though this was very reasonably priced as a Squier and further discounted as a floor model Reverb sale. Not a scratch on it, as far as I can tell. I immediately threw on a set of flats and am having a lot of fun getting a feel for it. Nice mwah, but I can see playing this will require a little more, uh, precision, with fretting.

Made in Indonesia. Given the low cost, I'm thinking of modding this. The bridge feels a little cheap. Also, the fret dots on the side are practically invisible and I'm going to need those to be bigger. Might sand off the finish on the back of the neck too, just for fun.

I am new to fretless--any advice?

IMG_2159.jpeg

thisheregiraffe likes this.
  2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Check the nut, i get my (fret less) nuts as low as i can, makes a world of difference. Nice score!

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    1. Give it a good setup, getting the action as low as you can without buzzing
    2. Depending on your normal fingering hand technique, you might have to adjust your it to use more of the tip of your finger for playing notes. Since you don't have a fret doing the work for you, this helps get your notes in tune more consistently.
    3. Have fun!

4. gip111

gip111 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Just recently got a used Yamaha RBX250 fretless, trying to figure the fretless thing and I'm actually loving it. Went online looking how to do a setup and I basically got the strings as low as possible without buzzing both at the nut and bridge. Now to figure out strings for it, using rounds at the moment.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021