1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! (Stingray 5 content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nicholas Chin, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Nicholas Chin

Nicholas Chin

Jul 30, 2013
    Malaysia
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: It's NEW BASS DAY! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    Just got my hands on a 2nd hand Stingray 5! Homagosh am I in love with this beauty.
    She's a completely stock 2004 EBMM Stingray 5 with ceramic pickups.

This thing seriously kills it. I was originally going to get an Ibanez SR1205 or a Ray34/35 for new but when I saw a 2nd 'Ray 5 i just could'nt resist; I dont regret anything though ;):bassist::bassist::bassist:

Strung her up with some Sadowsky Blue Steels and it just GROWLS for days! Sickest slap tone ever, and extremely versatile contrary to popular belief.
    She's killed it every single time be it funk, alt rock, some old hyms, jazzy chordal stuff (yes, stingray for jazz)
    The amount of punch you can with this thing even while the EQ is set flat is ridiculous... and don't even get me started on that B string. The B is just super TIGHT, no mud, no clank, just pure stage-shaking BASS.

The 3 way switch was pretty nifty as well. I could get the classic stingray spank while also having the option to put dem humbuckers in series for a super gritty mid-range-bite-your-face-off tone. The EQ is so powerful it's ridiculous, I never go past 50% boost on anything, it just sounds so good already!

For fit and finish, this thing feels like a tank and even looks like one. When my friend saw this thing he said 'dude your bass looks and sounds like a war machine' This thing oozes craftsmanship in a way I can't understand, my old Yammy literally feels like a toy in my hands now. Neck is really solid, slightly chunky but just the way I like it (though i have really really small hands) String spacing is tight but I've not encountered any problems slapping so far, it's easy to get used to it once you get your mind to it ;)
    She also balances really well and just looks killer as hell man. You just can't deny that Stingrays are the sexiest basses ever :p

The best part about this baby is that she only weighs 9 pounds! The previous owner said it was light but WOW when i picked it up a dumb smile was just planted on my face.

This thing is a serious beast and I never want to part with it :bassist::D

(and of course, some bass pr0n for you guys :D)
    20131003_111154_zps8886194f.

20131003_111103_zpsbcac99ee.

20131001_213229_zps7259a76a.

20131003_112350_zps501840c0.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My only question is are you excited about your new bass?

Just kidding man. That thing is sweet! Enjoy!

3. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    :cool:welcome to the Musicman club, now ya know...

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Nice. Those are super basses. You gonna have some fun

5. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Awesome bass, enjoy!

6. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Congrats! Love those single pickup SR5s :)

7. Congrats!

I think anyone who has played these knows just how versatile they are. Changing your right hand position and plucking pressure makes a big difference in the tone too.

To get a really smooth and pillowy sound and take out some of that growl, try boosting the bass, cutting the treble, play with your hand just about where a P pickup would be, and raise the volume (forcing you to play with a lighter touch). It really can do a lot!

8. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    Love Stingrays, nice bass!

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Congrats! Single H ceramic pickup is my favorite sounding bass of all time. I totally agree on Parallel mode giving the best slap tone ever and Series mode being a kick right in YOUR midrange... heh heh I'm just sayin'... :D

Keep in mind that the EBMM Sterling 5 H is the exact same pickup, preamp, switch, EQ, etc.. When they changed the SR5, in 2008, to the alnico pickup, they came out with the Sterling 5 at the same time, which is all the electronics from the pre-2008 SR5. So, same sound, just a different body shape. So, if you ever want a backup that gives you the same sound and feel, but with a different look, the sterling 5 is where it's at.

You got super lucky with finding a 9 pound SR5, though! That is awesome!

10. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    Holy cow, that bass is astoundingly gorgeous, I must admit that matching head stock just makes that bass, Nice Grab!

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Very nice - congrats...

- georgestrings

12. Congrats! Really beautiful bass and there are 9.0 lb SR5s out there if you look for them. I just bought one new from Sweetwater and the light weight was a big reason I pulled the trigger on it. The balance is perfect, no neck dive, just a joy to play. My first EBMM too, really impressed with these basses.