NBD! You thought you all knew me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Katoosie, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. Yes

31 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. I hate you

10 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. Get out

39 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. Katoosie

Katoosie Chocolate is the best Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Talkbass!

I got a new bass yesterday!
    So you might have read my thread about going to an instrument store to check out some basses for the first time ever, I have never done that before.
    You might wanna read my short report here, if you are interested.

MY NEW BASS!!!
    IMG_20210727_132125.jpg

Wait, or maybe this one?
    IMG_20210727_115956.jpg

Nope.

It's not a Fender. I didn't buy a P bass, but I did try them and I liked them :)

So, here is the case!
    A little bit of story about it.

The guy at the store who was helping me with my purchase was kinda skeptical about the price of the instrument and the fact that according to the store system, it didn't come with any case, gig bag, tools, nothing. So, he went to the back... and got me this old thing.
    IMG_20210727_135415.jpg

Let us all take a look at it.
    IMG_20210727_215322.jpg
    ...Yamaha?
    What.
    "You are telling me that you got a Yamaha bass? :eyebrow:" I hear you think!

Wrong!

Boom!
    IMG_20210727_215456.jpg

IMG_20210727_220050.jpg
    IMG_20210727_220154.jpg
    IMG_20210727_220721.jpg
    IMG_20210727_220904.jpg
    IMG_20210727_220836.jpg
    IMG_20210727_220939.jpg
    IMG_20210727_220948.jpg
    IMG_20210727_223321.jpg
    IMG_20210728_141734.jpg
    • Spector Euro LT 4, Tiger Eye Gloss
    • Body Wood: European Alder
    • Top Wood: North American Maple with a slice of Walnut
    • Neck Wood: 3-piece Maple
    • Fretboard: Ebony
    • Number of frets: 24
    • Inlays: Spector Signature Crown
    • Controls: Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, Bass Cut/Boost, Treble Cut/Boost, Mid-Range Cut/Boost
    • Pickups: Bartolini Custom Wound P/J Pickups
    • Pickup Configuration: P/J
    • Preamp System: Custom Darkglass Tone Capsule
    • Hardware: Gold
    • Bridge: Lightweight Spector Locking Bridge
    • Tuners: Gotoh Lightweight Tuners
    • I also bought Schaller strap locks in gold
    While browsing though the store yesterday, I have also tried the Spectors that were there and this yellow tiger one felt and sounded the best of all of them.
    Here are some more pics.
    IMG_20210727_112241.jpg
    IMG_20210727_113827.jpg
    The blue one sounded kinda weak and not as clanky and defined as the yellow one. Maybe it was due to the battery or dead strings or both, in any case for some reason this blue one did not sound nearly as good as the yellow spector.

Also, I was mostly interested in the ones with the darkglass preamp and bartolini split P/J pickups, so I was looking at those.

IMG_20210727_112319.jpg
    My bass still on the rack, next to the Spector Legend 6 string. The legends look really nice in person, way better than whatever you can find online, by the way. They are glossy and fancy looking, but I did not want a 6 string this time.

IMG_20210727_115315.jpg
    Playing my new friend at the store immediately hit me with that familiar feeling of "the sound in your head" when I think of the bass. She was clanky, punchy, clear, defined and everything about her felt great from the top of the headstock to the very bottom of the body.

IMG_20210727_115310.jpg
    Still trying her out!

After this point it was just the matter of trying to find something that felt/played better but I couldn't. Stingrays, Hagströms, Fenders, Sandbergs and even other Spectors couldn't even come close to this specific bass. I do not know what special magic went into making this specific Euro LT but it made it sound extra good, feel very premium and look like an absolute show stealer. It popped out from the rack right away when I saw it and I did not even care about the price. I just took her with me and now she is mine :)

Thanks for reading! :)
    Have a nice day :bassist:

2. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    Haha great reveal!

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Congrats on a very nice looking instrument. I've only tried Spectors with EMGs so I can only guess at the tone. Enjoy.

PS: I didn't guess right.

Katoosie and Loring like this.
  4. BargeOn

BargeOn Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    Great choice! Congrats.
    I know what you mean about the feel of a Spector, especially the neck-thru. And that is absolutely the right finish.
    Play it in good health.

Rip Van Dan, Katoosie and Loring like this.
  5. Wow. Great choice!!!

Katoosie and lowdownthump like this.
  6. It’s nice to find one you want. Especially as it falls into your hands and you know it.:cool:

7. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Congrats! Very nice quilting on that one.

If it was new, should have come with the gig bag, FYI.

Rip Van Dan, Ronzo, Katoosie and 2 others like this.
  8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Yeah, if you hold a Spector ns2 shape next to just about anything else, all others feel like a large concrete brick wrapped in barbed wire.

Great bass, very beautiful. Enjoy that comfort and that growl! I love my euro 4.

Katoosie, dkelley and Seth Shonefeld like this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Haha !! I knew it was. Spector. Excellent choice . :thumbsup:

I’m glad you let your eyes and ears and hands decide and not the talkbass fable of everyone needs a PBass wit tort and flats!;)

It’s nice to have a 4 string on addition to your extended range bass. Different tools for different fixes.

Very nice indeed!!Now you have 2 natural beauties . Enjoy :bassist:

10. Stay Gold

Stay Gold

Jun 23, 2018
    Rad thread and what a cool story. Did you play through that awesome red Ampeg mini-stack? Regardless, enjoy that bass.

Katoosie and wellshuxley like this.
  11. Drog

Drog

Feb 3, 2020
    Great story, keeping us in suspense. Love that colour, enjoy playing.

Katoosie and MynameisMe like this.
  12. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    There’s nothing better than being able to try a whole bunch of instruments and finding one that you connect with more than the others. Congrats!

13. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    That's freakin' awesome!
    I love that feeling; you sit with it for a minute and play - you just know THIS is the one you are taking home with you.

This is another brand that I hear great things about that no stores in my area carry. Most of what they have is Fender, and we all know how you feel about them :woot:

Rich_Briere and Katoosie like this.
  14. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    If you're half the Bassist that you are a writer you must really rock!
    Love to read your posts.
    Congrats on your NBD!

15. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Supporting Member

WHOA! Not what I expected.

Bonus points for the poll options -- and for the bear in the reveal photo.

I *love* that Eddie Jackson/Queensryche deep-dirty-rumble-growl Spector tone, but sadly the ergos of the instrument don't work well for me. See the video below for what I consider to be an utterly iconic Spector bass tone.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    mmon77, dirtychinchilla, Rojd and 5 others like this.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    So much to like, @Katoosie -- enjoy that beautiful bass!

Katoosie likes this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Wow, that’s a looker. Great choice. Enjoy!

Katoosie likes this.
  18. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    Nice choice. Enjoy your new bass, and start saving for the next one!

Katoosie likes this.
  19. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Awesome new bass katoosie!

Katoosie likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Congratulations on a beautiful new bass. A Spector is always a good choice IMO. :thumbsup:

When I was out shopping for a 5-string, the last thing in the world I was planning to look at was a Spector. But there was a natural oil finish Euro with simple dot inlays (which I greatly prefer!) hanging in one of the stores I visited. So on a lark, I asked to try it out. Because it was one brand of bass I hadn’t ever played up to that point. And just three minutes of playing was all it took to make me a believer.

And an owner. :)

Note: I’ve set mine up for high-C stringing and have it tuned down a full step. I don’t need to go below a low D for the type of music I mostly play. (I’ve got a bass set up for BEAD for the heavier stuff.) And having some extra high notes more easily available works out well for me when chording.

821C26F5-A31E-4EB4-A502-F188E2E20A9A.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021