NBD!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El Spearo, Sep 29, 2016.

1. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I was looking at my local Musical instruments buy sale and trade Facebook page a week ago, and saw that someone had an old Squier fretless that wanted to sell for 500 bucks or trade rod a small TV and 300 dollars.
    I happened to have a 42 inch TV in my music room that I rarely used, so I offered a straight swap. He came back to me saying that he needed the money. So I said thanks and kinda forgot about it.
    Yesterday I get a message from him asking if I would chuck 50 bucks his way for the trade. It took me about 35 seconds to say yes.
    I told him I would pick it up that night, and he sent me his address. 120 km away!
    4 hours later, I was back home with the bass. It was in quite a state. Dusty, really high action, gunk on the fingerboard. (after all, it belonged to a teenager)
    Took the strings off, cleaned it thoroughly and put a set of old ernie ball flats I had lying around. When I started setting it up, I noticed the truss rod was completely loose.
    Now I can't put it down! Really nice action, everything works perfectly and looks great! We'll, no pics no bass, so, without further ado:
    20160928_214057.jpg 20160928_214046.jpg 20160928_214025.jpg 20160928_214011.jpg

2. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    That's a sweet deal at home bro!! Nice bass.

What you have to drive to Palmy or something?

3. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Foxton bro. Nice drive up the coast tho

4. Congratz, looks like a winner =D

5. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    That looks hot!

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Congrats!
    Nice choice of strings, my favourite.

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I played one of those at a local guitar store, couldn't believe how nice they feel and sound for the money. Instant mwah. I like the ebanol, looks like it will hold up well over time.

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice Score. A very solid fretless and sounds like it was a very good deal for you too.

9. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Thanks guys, it really was a great score. I might get a different set of strings, either la bella flats of some kind of tapewound strings

10. bassyboyg

bassyboyg

May 28, 2014
    vermont
  11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Nice score for sure.
    TVs are easier to find than a decent fretless any day.
    Congrats.

SirMjac28 and Glazenn like this.
  12. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    It's all part of the masterplan, now I can tell my wife that we need a new TV upstairs so I can move the old one downstairs to replace the one that was traded... Those curved screen Samsungs look great! Lol

13. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Congrats!

14. That is a real beauty. Looks great without the pick guard. Good luck with it. Now go and enjoy your new pride and joy. :bassist:

15. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I'm using Fender medium flats on my fretless Jazz Bass, They're like 17 bucks and have a great sound and feel, also a really horrid color thread green.jpg

Yeah, I know it says "Precision", They didn't make fretless Jazz basses when I bought the neck

jd56hawk and SirMjac28 like this.
  16. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    That bass was worth the wait and the drive. Congrats on a very nice bass. Keep the groove.

El Spearo likes this.
  17. Yay!!!

18. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Wow, I love sunbursts and that one looks fantastic! Look at the depth in that finish.

El Spearo likes this.
  19. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I'd take a bass over a TV on all counts - LaBella Deep Talkin' flats for old school plunk - Roto black tapes for a bit of mwah

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    What!

No pickguard?

Get some Tort, son.

Flaked Beans and SirMjac28 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021