1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ed S, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    I posted about my new bass over in the Upton Club thread, but decided to start a new thread because - well - I'm excited! :D

It was exciting to see this roll up in front of our house yesterday!
    upload_2020-12-2_9-5-47.png

I had ordered an Upton hybrid to replace my 10-yr old Englehart.

I think my sole disappointment is that I'm such a lousy photographer, tho I suspect the really dark finish makes it challenging to photograph.

Here is a shot from last night under room lighting:
    [​IMG]

And here are a couple in this morning's sunlight.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I told Upton to make it as dark as possible w/o obscuring the woodgrain, with very light distressing. I think they succeeded exceptionally. In person up close, the wood is stunning. But I'm not a good enough photographer to do it justice. The very mild distressing is just enough that it doesn't look like a completely shiny new instrument, but it doesn't at all look all beat up or fakey. Fit my preference perfectly.

It is a Bohemian w/ a deluxe top. I don't have the experience to compare the deluxe to the standard top, but I can say that this is an impressive slab of wood! I asked for a very defined grain. The recurve is beautiful, but the dark color seems to obscure the purfling. Just can't say enough about what a beautiful piece of wood carving it is. And the sound and playing are exceptional.

I think the left photo of the top under the fb might give an idea of how pronounced the grain is. (In another thread, a poster was commenting on a strong top grain. I suspect this is the sort of thing he was talking about. I told them I wanted an almost "corrugated" top grain, but they didn't say anything about any special process or anything.)

The right photo shows a small thing I think really cool. That is looking down at the edge of the top from playing position. If it shows up in the photo, the strong top grain appears almost zebra-striped on the very edge. Just a cool little detail.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Flat back - back and sides are birch
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I really love these French Rubner tuners. I ordered them b/c I dug how they looked. But I had no idea how large, textured, and meaty they would feel between my thumb and finger.

Dots, b/c I like them, it is my bass, and I don't care if you disfavor them! ;)

The neck grain does not really show up well, but it is highly flamed, and will become more defined as I invest the time and sweat!

Evah Weichs. I really like the tone and how well they bow. They are a fun contrast to the Evah guts on my ply.
    [​IMG]

7/8 size. I laid the 2 basses side by side to see a comparison, and got photobombed.
    [​IMG]

It was a long wait, but I couldn't be more thrilled with the results. Stupid little thing - I LOVE the endpin. Just a pleasure to use.

My main concern was getting the best sound possible. I play mostly bluegrass/oldtime, and wanted a cannon. Eric told me going to 7/8 and the deluxe top would be the biggest "bang for the buck" upgrades. So those were no-brainers - I didn't want to spend the minimum entry fee, and spend years wishing I'd gone bigger.
    I'm a cheapass Polack who is very critical of my bassplaying skills, so I initially thought I'd just stick w/ those upgrades and try to keep the budget low. Then I saw a bass w/ those tuners and thought they looked really neat. I thought of them like "jewelry" which would be right up near my eyes and which I would appreciate. I've got a kid who is really into steampunk, so they sorta make me think of him. I'm fortunate that I don't have to scrimp on every dollar, so I figured I'd go with them.

Then one day a fellow picker showed up to a jam w/ a new custom banjo w/ a sick flamed neck. I couldn't keep my eyes off it, and he said, "Eddy - in for a penny..." So I called Eric up and asked for the purtiest neck possible.

I think I did a really good job for my needs/wants. Probably coulda gotten a bass that sounded as good somewhat cheaper, but it wouldn't have been exactly the bass I wanted. So I'm fine if I paid a premium. I'm far from a pro, and I have a hard time envisioning getting to a point where this is not enough bass for me. The tone and sustain are exceptional. Comparing it to my ply, I think of a racecar w/ really tight steering/gears, as opposed to an older car w/ a little more play in the wheel/shifter. Going for various notes just seems so easy and precise. I've been working on bowing and expanding my range up the neck, playing some classical ensemble work in the process. This bass will excel at that - while still being able to deliver the goods driving a BG beat.

I'm also glad, however, that I still have the old ply. The guts are a different kind of fun, and it is nice to have a bass to haul in and out of the car, w/o worrying about the weather, laying on its side, etc.

Disclaimer - if you think I'm wasting too much time on these boards, be assured that I am in front of my computer avoiding work, instead of avoiding practice! :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    groooooove, fleabitten, JRA and 8 others like this.
  2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Congrats. None of the photos are showing up for me?

DrayMiles, Sands and longfinger like this.
  3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yup, doesn't count. No pics. :roflmao:

(Huge congratulations!!!! We really do believe you!!!!)

4. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Damn, I'm an idiot w/ tech. I find it so frustrating, because as I'm typing this, I'm looking at the thread w/ the photos visible. I took them on my iPhone, sent them to my email, and dragged them to the thread as I composed it.

I suppose I ought to look into a new hosting solution, as I believe my photobucket acct is defunct.

Sands likes this.
  5. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    0.jpg

Does this work?

JeffontheBass, Reiska, Sands and 15 others like this.
  6. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    That last one works for me (post 5). And it looks beautiful! Congrats!

7. Doesn't look like you need that hat rack anymore

LM Bass likes this.
  8. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    OK - let's see if I can succeed in making the pics appear this time! (I'm REALLY trying to avoid work!):

It was exciting to see this roll up in front of our house yesterday!
    0-6.jpg

Here is a shot from last night under room lighting:
    0-8.jpg

And here are a couple in this morning's sunlight.
    0-3.jpg 0.jpg

I think the left photo of the top under the fb might give an idea of how pronounced the grain is.

The right photo shows ... the strong top grain appears almost zebra-striped on the very edge.
    0-2.jpg 0-7.jpg

Flat back - back and sides are birch
    0-5.jpg 0-4.jpg

French Rubner tuners/Dots/neck grain
    0-1.jpg

7/8 size. I laid the 2 basses side by side to see a comparison, and got photobombed.
    0-9.jpg

Attached Files:

• 0-6.jpg
      0-6.jpg
      File size:
      17.3 KB
      Views:
    olliebass, Amano, P A U L and 20 others like this.
  9. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Beautiful bass!!!

And nice doggy too. ("Does your dog bite?")

Bohemian... Did you have any "extras" added in the order besides the deluxe top, purty neck, tuners and dots?

10. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    I tried to cover most of that in my incredibly incompetent initial post.

It is a Bohemian, 7/8 flatback, w/ a deluxe top, antiqued plated French Rubner tuners, and a highly flamed neck, strung w/ EP weichs.

dhergert likes this.
  11. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Hell, I'm not sure there WERE many other "extras" available w/o going up to fully carved! I even tried to order a deluxe bag - but they were having supply issues on them... ;)

Cue next poster to correctly observe that a good part of that $ could be better spent on lessons... :D

12. Maybe, but if your instrument inspires you to work harder, you'll work harder. Enjoy it.

RSBBass, Joshua and marcox like this.
  13. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    That is one nice chunk of bass! Congrats! I agree those tuners look pretty friggin cool. How are you adapting to the 7/8 size?

14. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Well, it is a piece of cake since 5th position is pretty much straining my limits at this point! ;) What is this mythical "thumb position" I hear people talk about... :D

Only played it a couple of hrs so far, but I'm not seeing any problem. Seated, it actually feels as tho it meets my body more comfortably than the 3/4. It does feel a tad larger just moving it about - tho I'm more careful about banging it into things compared to my old beater. I haven't really dialed in the endpin length seated and standing.

I'm 6'3", so I didn't think I'd have any big problems adjusting to the size. The neck feel is just a tad different than my old bass. Tho both are Ds, it is a slightly different feel up at the heel. But the neck is terribly comfortable.

What is the update on yours? Any new revelations? Has the initial glow worn off such that it is no longer your nifty new bass, and instead, is simply your bass/partner?

Keith Rawlings, Joshua and marcox like this.
  15. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Glad you find your new one comfy to play. I've only played someone else's larger bass one time and it was one of my rougher executions of playing bass with a band, lol. Longer scale length...

My new bass has now become the "main bass" and i no longer pick up my laminate. I also put Pirastro Perpetuals on it which seem to match the bass REALLY well. I had already owned a set so figured i would experiment. Good volume, flawless tone with a nice woody depth. Can't ask for more really. The only thing left untested is how it will sound with a band, and unfortunately that might not happen for awhile. That's the final milestone it needs to pass, which i'm sure it will with flying colors. Happy bass owner here.

16. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Beautiful...

17. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I have a similar bass from Upton - 7/8s Bohemian, all ply, with a few extras. 42” string length. I also have a Upton 3/4 hybrid. 41.5 string length. I switch easily between the two. The 7/8s is certainly bigger (except perhaps rib depth) but still very manageable.

Joshua and Seanto like this.
  18. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Question to all of you who have been dealing with Upton lately:

Have you heard anything related to their suitcase double bass project?

19. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Haven't asked, haven't heard anything. I'd suggest you email them. IME, Eric has been pretty responsive and open.

Just my WAG, but I'd imagine that the past year has been pretty challenging for them to just keep up w/ outstanding orders and such. I'm pretty sure they are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel - but I'd be surprised if they've had a ton of time/resources to contribute to "new" projects.

dhergert likes this.
  20. garrett2

garrett2

May 15, 2017
    They posted this on Instagram last week

geoffbassist and dhergert like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 26, 2021