1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBM: Harley Benton Enhanced MP-5EB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by And I, May 2, 2019.

1. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I am hoping this is the second to last bass I'll ever buy. The last one is a custom jazz a friend is building for me. GAS may be the cure for GAS.

The Rage and morrisonhendrix like this.
  2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    One week shipping update: it's on its way to the US. Damn I want it TONIGHT!!!!!

03.05.2019 17:02 The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin
    09.05.2019 03:05 The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
    09.05.2019 05:31 The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    going on day 11, the bass is in the US and awaiting customs clearance:

03.05.2019 17:02 The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin
    09.05.2019 03:05 The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
    09.05.2019 05:31 The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization.
    12.05.2019 21:54 The shipment has arrived in the destination country
    13.05.2019 00:46 Shipment is prepared for customs clearance in country of destination

The Rage, Duder and PockySteve like this.
  4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Day 14, it's out for delivery!! Expected today.

Duder, Bass Man Dan and Hank Scorpio like this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    this will be the slowest day ever, lol.

And I and Bass Man Dan like this.
  6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Rehearsal was canceled tonight though. Bummah! Who wants to jam tonight??

7. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    These look tempting, gotta say.

And I likes this.
  8. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Inexpensive instruments for some reason are just more appealing to me. I suppose I'd have to play a Sandberg California to know if the $2,000 I didn't spend is worth $2,000. I have 6 basses now, the most expensive sticker price was the Brubaker Brute MJX5 at $700 (and I put in new pickups, a new preamp, new tuners, and now it's getting a fret job so i guess it's a $1200 bass now).

9. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I know! I have been waiting for his pics for 2 weeks!

And I likes this.
  10. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I work from home. The trash truck just drove by. I heard a big truck coming and literally popped out of my seat to see if it was my bass... This is like that time period after load-in before you hit the stage. AGONY!

edit: the UPS truck just drove by. this is coming via USPS but i STILL got excited...

11. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    IT'S HERE! And I'm in a meeting. damn.

Bass Man Dan and Hank Scorpio like this.
  12. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Tuned it up and played for a minute unplugged. So far so good. Neck may need a teensy bit of relief but setup appears good. Low action, minimal fret buzz, intonated well. Very similar bridge to the brubaker brute.

Going to plug it in soon...

Attached Files:

dabbler, Bass Man Dan and Duder like this.
  13. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    The knobs feel a bit chincy. Probably need to be tightened a bit. Allen keys that come with it are not the correct size for the knobs. About to bring it down to the music room and do some things with it...

The Rage and Bass Man Dan like this.
  14. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    20190516_150224.

15. It's a beauty!

Can't wait to hear more details of it (weight, sound, how the pickups balance, active vs passive etc..) as you get to know it. You've given me a severe GAS flare up!

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  16. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Will do! at least this gas can be solved with a relatively small number of dollars and a little patience.

Hank Scorpio likes this.
  17. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Invoice from Thomann says 3.75kg. That would be 8 1/4 lbs. I haven't even strapped it on yet but that seems impossible. I don't have a good scale but I think I need to get one now...

Crappy bathroom scale shows a shade over 9lbs

Hank Scorpio likes this.
  18. It would work out even better for me, as I'm in the UK. Has the added bonus of my missus loving the LPB & pearl guard, too!

9, 9.5lbs or so is very good for a budget 5 string. Could take a bit off with Ultralites if really needed, but a good strap would do the job for me.

19. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    The weight is manageable even for my busted back. It's heavier than the Yamaha trbx505 it's replacing but not tremendously. It does have a bit of neck dive, not awful. Changing the tuners probably requires drilling some new holes in the back of the headstock but I may do it anyway.

The volume knob came off after push-pulling it a couple times. Had to tighten it, no problem.

The balance between pickups is good. P pup is a bit louder and significantly bassier than the MM. Blended they sound best. The P itself is kinda dark, bordering on a little muddy. The MM is nice and barky but a bit thin on its own.

Active is much louder than passive. Wasn't expecting that... I have only played one other active/passive switchable and the overall output is about the same on that one. Without some way to level the volumes, swapping between the two live won't really be possible.

There is no tone control when the preamp is turned off. Hard to say without hearing it blended with a band and given the large difference in output between passive and active, but I think I prefer the sound of the preamp even with the knobs flat. A tiny bass reduction and tiny treble boost seems to clean it up real nice but again, gotta see how it blends with a band.

It will need a little setup work to take care of some slight fret buzz. A few simple tweaks should do it. No sharp fret ends, the neck feels great.

First impression: a completely serviceable bass that I could roll into a gig tomorrow with and be perfectly comfortable. A great backup bass--which is why I got it. With a little setup work, higher end 3-band eq preamp, and ultra lite tuners I would have a tough time choosing between this guy and the Brute.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    The Rage and Hank Scorpio like this.
  20. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Twinsies

SMG, dabbler, The Rage and 2 others like this.