1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBM: Harley Benton Enhanced MP-5EB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by And I, May 2, 2019.

1. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    reddog, tommyr01, The Rage and 5 others like this.
  2. Had an eye on this exact model myself. Fair bit cheaper than a Classic Vibe for a 5 string, with a reverse P/MM configuration, active/passive, zero nut, bound & blocked, good quality (looking) bridge, 4 string retainer.. can't help but feel there must be a catch, but by all accounts these are solid basses.

Will be looking out for your impressions when you receive it!

Nunovsky and And I like this.
  3. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    3 months.

4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I'm sure the electronics are middling, and the fretwork will probably be middling as well. I plan to use it mostly passive, and in the future if I upgrade the pups and preamp and give it to my guy to do a fret job... that would cost 2x more than the bass itself but might still be less than a Sandberg California...

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    :(

6. Considerably less, I'd imagine!

From the review videos etc I've seen, it seems the MM pickup is 'okay', and the P is very good. Wouldn't expect a lot from the preamp, but hey, it's easier to replace electronics in a well-playing bass than the other way around.

Wavebird, Brookmichael and And I like this.
  7. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Last bass I ordered from Thomann took about two weeks and that was only because it got damaged in customs.

I've been eyeing the natural 5 string. Seem like really cool basses, especially at that price!

Nunovsky and And I like this.
  8. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    yeah for the money if it's a player at all it's a win. i love the P-MM sound, first time i heard one i was like "that's it!"

9. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    They are!

IMGP4638a.

Slinger, The Rage, wmmj and 2 others like this.
  10. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Hey Dabbler, how much do those weigh if you don't mind??

11. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Thomann told me the 5ers average 9.5 pounds, but that may be specific to the P/MM. The body of the J/MM looks bigger in your pic, Dabbler.

12. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    PM is 9.4 lbs
    JM is 11.4 lbs

Bass Man Dan and And I like this.
  13. I've got a Harley Benton std p bass, had it a few years, £95 but because I live in UK delivery was really quick

And I likes this.
  14. I ordered from them got the bass delivered in 18 days.

And I likes this.
  15. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    It shipped! I'm playing it in my mind...

16. It'll be worth the wait.

And I likes this.
  17. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    I ordered the same bass but in natural finish. It arrived in 3 days but I'm in Europe. Don't know how longer it will be to ship in the USA.

At least from some videos, that bass have an aggressive bright, "dry" sound in respect to the same bass in J/J configuration (and that's why I choose it).

Bad news is it's neck heavy. Kind of a bummer since my Harley Benton BZ5000NT is perfectly balanced. Maybe changing the tuning machines can help. Anyway with a good strap it's not a great problem.

Great good news is that sliding my fingers on the sides of fretboard there's no cutting edges.

Out of the box the action is not the lowest neither the highest (to be honest I'm spolied with pleked bass and super low action).

Never had a bass with a pickguard before, so don't know if the pre that hides in there have a trimpot to adjust the gain (like in the BZ model).

I've bought it to use it as modding platform, but I think I will only change the preamp.

And I likes this.
  18. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Hipshot ultralites can probably solve that, thanks for the tip, saw that in a review video as well but if that's the biggest issue I'll be happy.

The Rage likes this.
  19. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

Nov 18, 2012
    Mine HB took two weeks. It was definitely worth the wait! Highly under rated basses! Plays and sound fantastic! IMG_20190429_175350179.

The Rage and And I like this.
  20. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas

Gee thanks for the G.A.S.........looks great!

And I likes this.