Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NCAA basketball!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so, who is everyone rooting for this season?

which of the unbeaten teams--duke, florida :)bassist: ), pittsburgh--will lose first, ya think?

so on, so forth.

i've seen two florida home games this season, with a third coming up tonight!

what's strange is that we're the only ranked team in the entire SEC! :eek:
    and not only that, we're ranked number TWO in the nation! :eek: :eek:

we looked pretty sloppy against mississippi state and really sloppy against auburn. we're playing savannah state tonight; apparently, they're one of the worst teams in division 1. :meh:

anyway, let the "march madness" BEGIN... in JANUARY! :hyper:

(also, i was going to title this "NCAA hoops," but... even I was tempted to put up an image of competitive hula-hoopers or something, and i made this thread! :p )

2. Duke all the way, every year baby:D

I'm too blinded by my Duke fixation to even evaluate their team, they're just the best!;)

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey Brad, you're in Gainesville? I was there just recently. My in-laws live in the NW corner of town, near I-75. The Gators beat the UGA Bulldogs while we were there.

For my own preferences—Go Huskies! ;)

It should be a good season.

4. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Go DUKE!!! (alumnus - M.Div. '83).

I'm afraid that Duke may be the first team to fall, as they've looked pretty shakey in some recent games (and against Clemson, no less).

They also bear the burden of the #1 ranking.

Well, here's hoping for an undefeated season! :smug:

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Go Zags. Last game I saw they lit up LMU pretty nicely.

Also go Dawgs. 11-5 is not too bad. Their next game is tonight against LSU.

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

ah, cool.

and boo-urns, huskies! (i'm assuming we're talking uconn, here.)

7. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'll second that "Go Huskies!!". (and yes, I do mean the UCONN ones. heh heh...) :p

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yup, UConn! The women's team just handed LSU their first defeat of the season. It's interesting to see the rankings become more turbulent on the women's side in recent years due to better parity, like the men's always tend to be. It's always more interesting when you can't be sure who's going to win it all.

9. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

d'oh! turned out that that game had been sold out. i should really check which games i'm signed up for before i head out. :oops:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We have guys like you around here. We call them frontrunners. :D

I like the UF program, and what Billy Donovan is doing at the "House of Horrors". You are so lucky to be able to go to the games. The UW team up here is pretty good also. I've been to a couple games.

-Mike

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Ah, the other Huskies. ;)

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Left Coast Huskies is what we call them around here. It's neat how both teams are really good. If it wasn't for the Wazzu loss, they would be right up there with their Right Coast brothers.

Hey Bob....you remember the tourney when Hamilton hit that fall away to beat the UW in '98? What a game!!

-Mike

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I sure do.

What's funny is that UConn coach Jim Calhoun used to be head coach at Boston's Northeastern Univ.—also the Huskies.

14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

it's like that gag from the simpsons:

"who are we!?"
    "the wildcats!"
    "who are we gonna beat!?"
    "the wildcats!"

:D

15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Savannah St. 62
    Florida 113

:D

16. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Duke prevails over NC State.

Still undefeated! Still #1!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :smug: :p :p :p :p :p :p

17. go state! (BSEE, MSU, 2000)

i think UF will lose saturday at tennessee. they haven't really played anyone yet, unless you think wake forest is a great team. and since the SEC is so piss-poor this year, they probably won't play anyone until the sweet 16. they'll still be a 2 seed by tournament time.

pittsburgh will probably lose to connecticut on january 31. i don't expect them to lose more than two or three, though. maybe four if you include the big east tournament.

duke, maybe, will lose at BC or at UNC, but i don't see much else on the schedule that will challenge them. unless vatech gets up for the game in blacksburg like they did at cameron. too many close losses for them, though, that i think they'll have lost their confidence.

of course, all of this is said as a michigan state fan. we've already lost four times, including to hawai'i. still, we get better as the year progresses. i think we'll beat IU in assembly arena (but i wouldn't be surprised if we lost). i expect no more than six losses at tournament time. we'll probably share the big ten title, but don't be shocked if we win it outright; we play wisconsin at home on the last game of the season.

just one schmuck's opinions. any thoughts on the big ten?

robb.

18. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i like the big ten.

that is all.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Hey, that's my nickname for my … oh, never mind.

20. i'm sure you're not the only one to ever give your ERB a pet name.

robb.