1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NCD - Fender Bassman Pro 115 Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuvMusic, Jul 26, 2012.

1. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Just unpacked this cab and visually it is gorgeous, captures that vintage vibe.

Initial reaction to the sound of the cab is very positive, sounds like a 115. With the Neo driver and variable tweeter I have been able to dial-in a wide range of tones from deep and dark to modern crisp and clear.

Driving it with a 30w tube head so I can't really test the 350w rating. Can't wait til the kids wake up so I can crank it a bit and see what it sounds like with some tube breakup. Damn summer vacation!

IMGP7296.

IMGP7298.

IMGP7297.

IMGP7299.

Sorry for the "copied" text from the Bassman thread. What can I say, I'm lazy and want to get back to playing. :p

2. When you get the chance to hook up more power post a review. I bet a pair of those would make children weep.

3. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Will do....got an LMII here that should be able to light it up a bit.

4. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    subscribed.

keep us posted.

5. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    I'm curious to know if once you crank it up if the steel flip handles rattle at all.
    I'm surprised with more upper end cab like they are shooting for, that they don't have deep dish handles.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have never had a problem with steel flip handles rattling. I have owned a few SWR Goliath cabs over the years and the flip handles on those have never rattled. I also own a Fender Bassman 100T with the flip handles on the sides and a Fender Neo 610 cab which has flip handles underneath and I can assure you there is certainly no rattle in either.

7. I'm very interested in hearing your setup. Any way to record clips?
    I have a "big rig" but I'm GASing for a Lil' Bastard and single 15 for recording and gigs that don't require 300 tube watts.

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    looking forward to your review

9. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Looks like they dipped into the SWR Golight parts bin for those side handles. Shame, it's the only thing I dislike about my Golights. Wrap hand towels around the handles when using the cab or else R-A-T-T-L-E !

10. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Got the 410 Neo. Simply wonderful !! I will maybe buy that 115 Neo to go with it.

11. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    SWEET RIG!! Those little ASHDOWNS look killer!

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a swweeeeeet little rig you have there!

13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Gosh, seems like I'm the only one who has never had a problem with flip handles rattling. Obviously it can be an issue then, but surely it can't be too hard to simply source a new one and screw it in. Or maybe push in a little blutak to settle it down?

14. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    OK....I've had some time to do some more serious exercising of this cab and, IMO, it ROCKS!

My previous 15in cab was a Carvin with no tweeter, so, you should probably keep that in mind as you review my impressions.

Used both the LB and a MB LM II for testing. Most of the testing was done with my tele 51 ri.

First, with the LB, at low volumes and the tweeter in the cab set at noon, creamy, smooth tone, defined with a little sparkle at the top end. The bite of the sc pup on the 51 was well defined. Good solid tone. Crank up the LB and the harmonics of the amp starting to breakup came through in a very pleasing way. Turn down the tweeter and the tone gets darker, as you would expect.

The tweeter control seems to provide a great range of adjustment...a real plus for getting "your sound."

With the LM II, the amp made the cab sound more articulate....not a surprise given the tonal goals of these two heads. So, I guess my "lesson learned" with this is that the this cab does let the personality of the head you are using come through. Again, the tweeter control lets you adjust the brightness of the cab very effectively.

Crank time.....still using the 51 ri and LM II, gain at about 1:00, volume at about 10:00.......OMG! The speaker seemed to be doing fine....same as above but LOUDER. I didn't hear any rattles or unusual sounds from the cab but it would have been difficult to hear in my practice space given that the cases from my CD collection, the wall brackets behind the walls and doors on my storage cabinets were all rattling.

I have no doubt this cab can handle up to a medium sized room without breaking a sweat. And...look and sound good while doing it. Add another 15in cab and as was mentioned in a previous comment, kids will cry! :p

Now some responses:

The handles on my Fender 15 neo are deep-well handles, not steel flip handles...no rattle.

Wish I could help....don't have the equipment to record. Sorry!

Thanks! I bought the cab with the LB in mind and the rig is exceeding my tonal goals. By the way....did I mention this cab is light and easy to handle!?

I hope this helps!

15. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Great cab, but I am now a little confused. You say the handles on your cab are deep well handles, not flip type. On the Fender website they clearly state in the specs the handles are steel flip type, web pics show these cabs with flip handles and on the front of your cab pic it states, "Spring loaded heavy duty handles."
    Am I misinterpreting the differences between a flip type handle and deep well, or have Fender actually changed the handles type on these cabs? Just interested, no big issue.

16. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    What is the big deal with the handles, really ? Do they rattle ?

My 410 has the deep handles, not flip types. I believe it is the same for the 115.

No matter what, those cabs simply rock, with or without the handles !!! :)))

17. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Maybe a spec change? Anyway, I believe these are deep well handles....here's a pic to answer the question. :D

IMGP7300.

18. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the pic, those are indeed what I would call deep well handles. Fender must have changed the specs??

19. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Just checked another part of the website and it says built in heavy duty handles. They must be changing the specs. No biggie, probably saves them a few bucks. To be honest I prefer them.

20. If those rattle your doing somthing right!!