Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neato Google talk!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lowrez, Aug 24, 2005.

1. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    http://www.google.com/talk/

Now I gotta find someone to talk to on this one heh. Just what I needed! Yet another instant messenger! :rollno:

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    looks like i gotta stay with iChat. thats cool though, iChat does everything i need it to do. but Google Talk looks like a good program...unlike the complete mess of advertising that AOLs IM has turned into, i just hope Google Talk doesnt do the same.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup, just what we need, another IMing program. I actually saw this on the news the other day. From that (the news report) the only thing that I saw as a "perk" was the ability to add voice... something you can do with AIM, YIM et al already. I'll stick with the ones I already have, thanks. Don't need to go download more junk to my PC, especially since I'm going to venture and say it'll have built in-adware just like the rest of 'em.

-Ray

4. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

God damn... I only moved from ICQ to MSN 6 years ago... I don't wanna have to change again!

Google do things well... it'll no doubt take off! Damn it...

5. All of this is a sign... buy stock from Google! With everything they got going for them, and that operating system they're trying to put out, I am sure it'll pay off.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It's gone up 155% in the past year, I'm afraid it looks like it *might* be a little late to jump on that bandwaggon. Of course, feel free to quote me in six months when it's up another 155%.

-Ray

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, I kinda like it as it's minimalist and clean-looking, but I agree, I'm not sure if we really need yet another IM protocol.
    Besides, this is only going to take off once Gmail goes public, which means ... not just now, I think.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Google went public about 8 months ago or so...

I love google... It's replaced Yahoo as my Search engine... it replaced Yahoo and Excite! as my Webmail of choice..

I haven't looked at talk yet, but I'm assuming it will work on the same premise. If they have advertising (and google does advertise heavilly) it'll be the same way they've done it in the past where the search the topic that you are chatting about in IM and post a couple of "sponsored links". That's how they support Gmail. It's there... but it's VERY unobtrusive and easilly ignored.

I switched from ICQ to MSN 'cause I wanted an IM that's less cumbersome. ICQ was just.. I dunno bulky.. MSN is getting bulky with all of the add-ons they have now, but it's not too bad. I think it might be the only MS product that's not totally lame.

hmmm.. might have to look into talk...

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Gmail is public? Somehow, I don't think so. I still have a crapload of invites and I recall reading posts by people asking for invites as they wanted to try out Talk but couldn't as they didn't have a gmail account on another forum. :eyebrow:

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Metacrawler all the way for search engines.
    www.metacrawler.com

and about IMing... just get AIM ad hack. It breaks AIM down to the very basics - buddy list and the "setup/IM/info/Chat/away" buttons at the bottom. Or even go one step further and get GAIM, and be able to connect to any chat client out currently (sans Googletalk).

-Ray

11. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    how about letting me talk you out of one of your invites since you have a crapload of them...

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'll invite ya :). Gimmie an email.

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I still have tons... email me.. it's in my profile *L* but I can't check it until later tonight.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    SnoBassMan, d'ya still need an invite? If yes, PM me with your current email address or something.

15. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    (my TB name) @yahoo.com

first one gets a mystery prize

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Invite sent, if you get an invite from a guy with a funny-looking name, it's mine.

17. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Invite recieved!

18. It seems like a great program, but it's already hard enough with people being split over several programs, and now we have one more to muck things up. I'd use it, but who would I talk to with it? Perhaps it would be better for them to make a program like GAIM. (only it has to support direct connect and have a togglable timestamp system instead of one that just starts/stops writing them.)

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    +1 to that! The company/person that does that will get me on board for sure!

-Ray

20. I just got this. Seems like a good instant messenger. Simple to use and the voice chat has amazing audio quality. It's like standing right next to the person. tylerhole at gmail dot com if anyone wants to add me and talk :)