1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

neck finish

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by tramp, Aug 14, 2007.

1. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    On the new L2000 that I just bought, It doesn't look like there is a clear coat on the neck. Is this correct or is it a flook. I am concerned about body oil discoloring the neck.

2. I had the same question about an ASAT a couple years ago.

The maple board appeared to not have any finish on it. It felt that way too.

I was told there was actually a very light clear coat on it.

3. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Could it be a Satin finish?

The neck on my L2k actually feels like a well sanded piece of wood. Its just a satin finish. The other finish is gloss.

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are we talking fretboard or back of the neck? The back of the necks have a light satin (poly?) finish- you shouldn't worry about discoloration until you've played the crap out of it (at which point you MAY have worn through to the wood...). I much prefer the newer G&L satin finish to the gloss finish that was originally on my '82 L2000 (very sticky after any amount of sweating- moreso than any other bass I've ever owned!)- so I had the '82 neck sanded down and gun-oiled. Now it feels as good, maybe slightly better than my newer G&Ls (though an oiled neck needs to be sanded and recoated more often generally) ...

Karl

5. In my case it was both sides.

To look at it, you'd think it was bare wood. Especially the board, I could feel the grain of the maple.

It did play nice tho, and of course sounded great.

6. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    What templar said.:bassist:

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm about 99% sure the board and the back of the neck have the same satin finish on maple-boarded G&Ls- the maple L5500 neck I had on my L2500 also looked like bare wood and you could feel the grain. But due to some neglect or bad storage from the previous owner, you could see where the finish had actually worn through to the wood in a couple spots (bare maple is duller looking than you seem to think!).

Karl

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Satin finish

9. Caimanson

Caimanson

Dec 2, 2007
    Hi,
    I've got a problem with my MIK L2500, just realised that there are some patches in the back that are unfinished, and are are starting to get dark.:meh:
    The back of the neck is satin finished.

Does anybody know what's used to finish the back of the neck, would it be OK if I use Tung oil??

The maple fretboard also has a satin finish, but it seems to be a poly coat of some sorts but I'm not sure, the fretboard finish seems fine but I would like to know what it is for future maintenance.

Thanks

10. surfgarage

surfgarage

Aug 21, 2004
    Yeah, I've been wondering about G&L neck finishes since I got my new SB-2. In 2004 I got a new L-2000 with the slickest feeling satin finish neck ever. When I got the SB-2 I could feel the grain on the back of the neck and it did'nt feel slippery smooth at all. I actually had to sand it down a little with 0000 steelwool to actually feel comfortable. Sent the bass back to G&L repairs because of a bad truss rod and told them about the neck feeling unfinished hoping when it came back with a new neck it might feel more like my old L-2000.

Nope, same feeling so I'm wondering what's changed in the finishing process of the neck. Any ideas cus the neck just does'nt feel right for a satin finish IMOH. OH YEAH is there anything I could do to make it slicker feeling without rubbing off the satin finish since it is brand new and should feel way better than this.

Eddie