1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck options for Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RenC, Mar 25, 2018.

1. RenC

RenC

Mar 7, 2018
    Hello!

I'm new to the forum. I'm a guitar player, but I dabble a bit on bass.

Thing is, I got a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s... you can see it here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-70s

But the neck's messed up, I believe. It was very tough to play notes at higher frets, so I tried tightening the truss rod. The neck won't straighten up. I had a luthier check it out, he's trying to solve the problem at the moment. I'm considering getting a new replacement neck, probably from Stratosphere shop at ebay. Now, what would be the correct neck replacement for this bass? Perhaps C shape, 34" scale and 9.5" radius as in the manual?

Cheers!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Any 20 fret, four bolt, 34" scale Fender style neck should fit. The shape and radius don't make a difference.

Although you could probably replace the whole bass with a used one for what the statosphere will charge for a new neck. There are a million of those Squiers out there.

sissy kathy likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  4. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Get a warmoth neck. For the money they are the best as far as “I” am concerned. I have had several over the last twenty years and none of them needed any fret work or major adjustments right out of the box. They are more consistent compared to 90 percent of fenders I have owned and played. Yes, the steel reinforced rod necks are a little heavy but well worth the extra weight and they are very reasonable price. Skip another fender neck and get a warmoth ( you can get a new roasted maple that is the smoothest neck you’ll ever play and needs no finish, per their website. I owned a roasted maple and only sold it to get a neck with a rosewood fretboard ). But one of their “in stock” necks and save money. Fender sells their Mexican necks for about the same price and I believe the MIA necks are going for $499 on fenders web page. Warmoth would be cheaper and come with precision leveled fretboard and frets. No, I do not work for or with warmoth. I have wasted a lot of money over my lifetime of playing bass and learned to save a little longer and get what I payed for. Hope you find what works for you !

Micah D and sissy kathy like this.
  5. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I agree they make outstanding necks, I have one and the steel reinforcement doesn't really make it heavy enough to be an issue. I'm just not sure I'd spend the money to put a Warmoth neck on a Squier body. Mine is on a Warmoth body.

stuntbass77 likes this.