Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck pocket tricks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alex, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Does anyone have an easy method or a useful trick for making a neck pocket? I am worried that I'll make a little mistake and my body piece will be shot. :crying:

2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
  3. I have some excellent tips:

use a good neck pocket jig, use a good, stable router, and a nice sharp bit. :D

seriously tho, beyond the obvious, Take away the wood in 1/4" increments, working down. Don't rush, be patient, be thorough, and clear dust as not to obscure your view often.

best of luck.

4. If you plan your order-of-operations right, you can rout the neck pocket before cutting the body outline. That way, you have a lot more flat area to support your router base, instead of trying to balance it out in the middle of nowhere.

Or you can use a template that gives you that support, like in the Myka link above. I like the trick of taping the template to make it slightly small at first, and then adjusting to fit.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    "Route the neck pocket before cutting the body outline. That way, you have a lot more flat area to support your router base"

Yup :D

6. I've been searching all over. search "neck pocket" in this forum in every thread from the beginning and you will find NOTHING

7. You just mean a jigsaw, right? is there a special tool for making neck pockets? :confused:

8. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
  9. No, by jig he means a pattern to follow with another tool.

The special tool for making neck pockets is a router, but I like to use a forstner bit in a drill press to remove the bulk of the wood first.

10. I have actually been there before. I guess I was wondering what specific tools you need to make the neck pocket. (first bass)

That's what I was lookin for :D

11. I was looking at routers and I saw that they only do like 1/8" cuts. How do make a neck pocket like this? Am I missing something? :help:

12. if you try to rout the whole pocket depth in one go your router will get angry and do something you dont want it to. If you do it 1/8" then its easy to control the router cause its not trying to pull into the wood as much. Then you do another pass, then another and carry on till you have reached the depth you want. Its just easier and safer if you take your time with this job

13. ahh, ok. So the bit can extend downward?

14. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
  15. like anything...using tools takes practice...

you'll want to read about the techniques and try them on scraps first before you "take the plunge".

16. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    yep, if you don't practice first you could get a 'bit' carried away, and then be tempted to take a shortcut which would lead you down the wrong 'route', and then the 'jig' would be up for your bass making dreams.

:bag:

R

17. yikes! :eek:

18. ...And I thought Mr. Wilbur had bad jokes... :D

19. would anyone recommend a router or will any router get the job done?