1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a Decent Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nu11nV01D, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Nu11nV01D

Nu11nV01D

Jul 8, 2011
    Hey folks. I've got a new Douglas 5 String from rondomusic.com, and it sounds better than a $180 bass should. Still, I'm looking for a preamp to model my sound more so it doesn't necessarily sound like a $180 bass.

I'm trying not to spend more than $200-$250, if possible. I'm looking for the ability to go a little gritty but also clean it up when I need to. Nothing spectacular, but something that'll boost my sound quality a bit.

Any suggestions?

2. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I absolutely love my sans amp paradriver DI. It's always on for me. Great clean and does the gritty well. It's on the upper end of your price point, but still hits the mark. I believe they are running around $250 at guitar center and musicians friend

3. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    I also like my Sansamp (BDDI). Sounds like it will suit your purpose.

4. I LOVE EFFECTS.
    But I don't understand buying a $180 bass and then spending $250 on a preamp. For $430, if you searched high and low, you could have got something decent used.

Anyways, you could search for a Dave Hall Amplification VT series tube preamp. They have 2 channels, you could set one with some grit and one big and round sounding clean.

5. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I use an Aguilar Tone Hammer Preamp/DI pedal. Nice tone shaping options, can do a little "vintage" drive, and is a great DI. I think they run about $200.

6. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    VT Bass is pretty sick. Get one used. Even the Deluxe would be in your price range.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Eden WTDI is good at $149.

[​IMG]

8. Nu11nV01D

Nu11nV01D

Jul 8, 2011
    I hear ya. I got this bass as a gift, and I've got other basses. I figured, instead of spending $100-$200 on some nice pups I might as well get something I can use with all my instruments.

Thanks for the responses, folks. I will research every one of these.

9. Oh, Cool. I was just puzzled.

There is a used DHA VT pedal in the classifieds, I do believe. It isn't mine or anything. Definately a lesser know brand, but very high quality and feature rich, plus you will have a more unique tone than the million other Sansamp/Tech 21 users (no offense ya'll).

10. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1 on the DHA. Especially if you want tubey tone that can stay clean, or get a little gritty.

11. Just received a DHA VT2, its just perfect.

Can even make my old Behringer sound like an amp tube !

12. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I guarantee you that for $430 you won't find a bass with a Sansamp or DHA built into it.

13. Nu11nV01D

Nu11nV01D

Jul 8, 2011
    I think I'm gonna give the DHA VT a shot...

14. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
  15. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I might catch some crap for this, (and it looks like you might have made you're mind up already), but I actually snagged the Hartke VXL Bass Attack for super cheap a month or two ago (just to use as a quick plug in for recording demos at home), and it's turned out to be a pretty impressive Preamp/DI. A lot better than I expected, truthfully.

A lot of guys might shun it for its price point (you can find them for $100 and under) or just the Hartke name in general - but it's actually worked out really well for me. So well in fact that it actually usurped my usual recording setup (Aguilar Tone Hammer/VT Bass combo - also a second mention for the Tone Hammer as an excellent preamp as said above) for the latest side project I was working on.

16. SansAmp BDDI. I have a range of $100 to $800 basses with
    a variety of different pups I use it with and it sounds great.

17. Aguilar ToneHammer = Awsome.

18. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    So nobody has mentioned the Behringer V-TONE BASS DRIVER DI BDI21 yet? :bag:

It's what, about ~$40? You could have 4 of them for the price of the SansAmp BDDI, if you are concerned about construction for some reason. (Or 4 of them, and get two of the power supplies for good measure.) But I have had one of them in my gig bag for a while, and it's fine.

Plus, I believe I personally like the tone more so than the SansAMP. I totally nail that Geddy tone, circa Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

For the money, pick it up, you might be surprised! :hyper:

-Sean

19. I'll put in a vote for the Sansamp BDDI! Sounds great with my Peavey Firebass head and my Squier CV P bass.

It gets along very well with other pedals. It gives my distortion pedals much needed low end.