1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a recommendation for a good acoustic bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sacto Kevin, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Sacto Kevin

Sacto Kevin

Jan 11, 2017
    Most I have tried out need a small amp to get any volume. Acoustic guitar's are over taking my bass. Thanks.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They all need an amp to be heard. Or get an upright.

saltydude and prd004 like this.
  3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner

You are correct, sir.

Gorn likes this.
  5. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm very happy with my Fender CB100-CE

Polfuste likes this.
  6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The only acoustic I know of that is loud enough to keep up is an old Ernie Ball. The body was huge, but that is what it takes. That is why uprights are the size they are.

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    What bass are you playing, and with what other instruments?
    Acoustics, by nature, are limited in volume. If you like the tone but it's not loud enough, plug it in, that's why they come with pups and onboard electronics.

8. MrNatural55

MrNatural55

Jan 24, 2017
    I play a Warwick Alien Deluxe with La Bella Deep Talkin Bass tapewound strings. I can leave it unplugged if I'm jamming with just one acoustic guitar. Add two or more guitars and the sound gets lost. If it's strictly an acoustic jam with a couple of players, I have a David Eden Micro Bass 2W amp MicroTour | EDEN Amplification that runs on batteries and gives me enough volume to keep up. Anything else I plug into a MarkBass CMD 102p. I understand that the Tacoma Thunderchief is loud enough to keep up unplugged but I've never had the opportunity to try one.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  9. I agree apart from an Ernie Ball Earthwood you need to amplify so I just use one of my solid bodies or often my '65 Rivoli with Rotosound tapes through my Berlin combo with appropriate volume levels.

10. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    You can get good tone from several abgs. Martins are great, Breedloves, too. Tacoma, if you find one. Anyone who makes a fine acoustic guitar is likely to make a good-sounding bass too. Unplugged volume is always an issue, unless you buy a monster. Earthwood or a guitarron, or a huge custom.
    How do you plan to use one?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Some simple reasons why your ABG may not be working for you...

> False expectations - player thinks the ABG will function, on its own in a band. Seriously!? There's a reason they come with onboard electronics.
    > The limp wrist theory - player is just plain weak, and is unable to generate any kind of acoustic volume, so clearly, the ABG is a faulty instrument.
    > The low/fast set up - face it, you wont get any volume if you don't get the strings moving, and that ain't gonna happen if the strings are sitting two hairs above the board.
    > Knuckle bleeders - the steel string guitar players who start and stop at triple forte; a jackhammer would have a rough time.

Of course YMMV, IMHO blah blah blah....

Tdub77 and MrNatural55 like this.
  12. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    I have a 1993 guild b-30 inmo it is the best out there sounds great unplugged or through an amp. short scale neck nice large body.

13. I have a Fender Victor Bailey sig aeb that looks and sounds great. Has a Jazz sized neck that is very nice. However, I bought it for practice by myself without an amp and that's it's only purpose. I could play it live through an amp but it kinda defeats the purpose to me. In that situation I may as well play my L-2000 (which I enjoy much more). One of these days I'll have to try out a double bass.

NewLaw83 likes this.
  14. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I'm very happy with my guitarron!

rrhEazT.

elkkid2 likes this.
  15. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    I'm very happy with my Fender CB100 CE too. Perfect to work alone at soft level, without annoying everyone in the house. I think with a pick you can play with one soft acoustic guitarist. But general tone is more medium than bassy, especially with a pick.

Crusher47 likes this.
  16. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I love my Fender Victor Bailey acoustic bass. Thin body plays great. It doesn't project too loud but its great just jamming around with a couple of people or practice.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    88b0dbc7469d2f4d0b80e9102305d024.

elkkid2 and tfer like this.
  18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    The loudest unplugged acoustic bass I ever played or owned was a $150 Carlo Robelli that I won. Plugged in it sounded like crap, but acoustically it blew away a Michael Kelly I own, a JBP, and pretty much any other ABG I've played.

That being said, I'll repeat what has already been said - they all need to be plugged in.

What I found MUCH more useful for jamming acoustically is one of these, which has become my favorite travel instrument. Fits in an overhead, and is gig worthy when you plug it into an amp.

Vox Apache:

Vox-Apache-I-Bass-sunburst-620x171.

Vox Apache on a cruise, with me, last year:

joe nerve vox apache.

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Loudest one o ever heard was the Tacoma thunder chief. Don't think they make them anymore.

elkkid2 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.