1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a wine recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DudeistMonk, Mar 26, 2009.

1. despite my ealier dismissal ofthe whole topic, this might be something I could learn from. I'd still pre game it with some barley soda.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Zinfandel is an anti-wine! It's like pink Gatorade with a splash of vodka! In short, it's yucky.

For a dish like that, I agree with a more full bodied red. A good Pinot Noir or Shiraz would be my pick.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Even I know red goes with tomato-based, italian dishes, and I'm dumb. I mean, I'm really dumb.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yeah but Cacciatore is made generally with a dry white. I think a Pinot Grigio goes great in this case. The Barefoot Pinot Grigio I linked to is pretty alright for a cheapish / readily available one.

6. For whites, I dig Brancott Sauvignon Blanc. Whites go well with chicken, seafood, etc.

Darks: 337 Cabernet

Both are very affordable.

Andrew

7. Dude-
    Have you asked her what kind of wine she likes? If she doesn't have a favorite, pick something you like. At lease one of you will be happy.
    I like Sangria.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Like I said. I'm dumb.

9. Most of the Barefoot whites would work well with chicken. They're a real deal these days.

10. You can go red or white on this one. If neither of you are really into wines I would stick with a pinot noir (as mentioned earlier). They tend to be less full bodied and thus easier to enjoy if you don't have an acquired taste for big reds. If you go white look for pinot grigio, chard, or a good blend.

You don't have to spend a lot of coin to get a nice bottle of wine. Some liquor stores will have a review fixed above or below certain wines that will tell you a little more about them. That always helps me decide when I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

11. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    berringer's white zinfandel

tastes amazing cheap as hell

12. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I think you're confusing Zinfandel with White Zinfandel. Night and day different sir. :)

And to those of you saying to go with a white because it's a chicken dish. Usually you would be correct. However, the sauce for this dish is very hearty and would easily overpower the delicate flavors of a mellow white like a Sauvingon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. Though I should say that there is no true right or wrong wine to pair with a dish. It's really all about what you enjoy. If you like it, then it's the right wine. However, the suggested pairing would be a light to medium presenting red. Hope that helps some.

Zach

13. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    that's my new myspace headline

14. Whoops. My bad. :atoz:

15. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Concha Y Toro makes wonderful wines for an amazing price.

Frontera Cabernet Sauvignon seems ideal...

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    That's one of the more intelligent statements I think you've ever made Maki!!

17. A bottle of red wine, fortified with some vodka.

18. Or Vodka fortified with some red wine. :)

19. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Good wines come with screw top, synthetic corks and corks. Corks are purely ceremonial and have no effect on the wine, other than to occasionally spoil it. I'm 100% with you on boxed.

As for wine recommendations, sauvignon blanc. It works with chicken, bell peppers, fennel, olives, tomatoes (fresh or sun dried). For cheeses, buffalo mozarella, feta, paragiano, ricotta. Works well with basel. I lifted that off my wine pairing books and wine spectator online.

Great french Sauvignon blancs, but if you are willing to spend $40 ish, grab a 2004 Cloudy Bay from New Zealand. Spectator gives it 90 points. Can't lose.

Good luck

20. I will say that, when chilling at home looking to get tangled, a good 'ole box of wine is a good and economical bet however! :D