1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need a workshop?!?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by davec, Sep 12, 2008.

1. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    I need a real workshop. I looked at the local C. colleges and looked for woodworker collectives and I can't find anything. Does anyone know of anything in the Chicagoland area?

I know there is a Luthier school in Chicago, but 2250.00 is more than I'm looking to spend and its not really what I'm looking for, Peg and Dowel use to rent time until someone sued them.

help

2. Check with Woodcraft, I've been to two of them on the East Coast that have "members only" woodshops.

If you set up your own, you'll spend more than $2250.

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    welcome to the joys of routing in the kitchen to "increase you daily fiber intake"

I've talked with several Woodcraft stores here on the Left Coast, and all of them are amazed that stores back East rent shop time. They always have an amazed look of lawsuit in the works when I've asked

like yourself, I'm currently shopless since selling my house and shop early this summer. after months of looking, begging, sleuthing, and groveling I've still not found a place I can use for carving necks and routing pickup cavities :(

I did learn of one place, but they wanted $750/month - far far more than I profit from my part-time building activities

wishing you all the best in your hunt!

all the best,

R

4. :)

same problem over here :bawl:

I think theres one place in the whole of the UK that rents out fully equipped space, somewhere in Greater London :mad:

I also looked at commercial lets, and they came out at ~$300 per month. Bit expensive for a hobby.

5. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I've got the same problem. I built a bass and a couple of guitars around 20 years ago and got the bug to start another project. I bought the wood assuming that I would be able to get access to a local college doing evening classes - every year around September time they have a long list of evening courses available in the local paper with 16 week woodworking classes available. I've done them before and basically, you bring the wood and your own project to work on and get access to all the bandsaws, jointers, planers, thickness sanders, routers and handtools you need, with advice from the tutor.

Except this year...zip...nada...rien....nuttin

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Looks like more than just a few of us are shop-less :(

7. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I've got the reverse problem:
    I just had a 12'x12' workshop built in my backyard. Power is going in Wednesday. It's small, but trying to fight for workbench space in the garage became unbearable. I'm really new to all this, but I've rebuilt/fixed/broken a couple of guitars & basses, and now I'm hooked. I'm slowly acquiring some tools/jigs/mounts to help out, but some of this equipment is expensive.

Any tips or advice before I power it up?
    I put windows across from each other to improve air circ along with ridge vents and a skylight directly over the workbench (workbench is roughly 8' long by 3' wide).

I wish I had the $ to install a vacuum system in there to control sawdust...

The fact that my wife agreed to this workshop either means that she really loves me, or she wants me to spend more time out of the house.

Looking forward to starting the first project in there. My 15 year old son and I really enjoy acquiring old, beaten, broken instruments and trying to fix them up.

8. J Lund

J Lund

Aug 6, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Add me to that list. :crying:

-Josh

9. Youre not making any friends here!

:spit:

:D Go for it, quality family time with your son plus bass == cool!

10. ack

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh

11. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Ack Mickey was joking. There is no problem about having little knowlegde about anything. If Id could have a shop Id ask the same things about power, air circulation, humidity, temperature and such.

About this Id be a bit more worried about she having something to ask me for like jewerly or shoes for the amount youll spent in your shop :D

12. Yep, I was joking - hence the :D

Dont be embarased - take what you have and run with it. Ive only been building for a short while, still on my first bass, but looking forward to making many more!

Its really cool that your whole family is into music! Keep at it, music is like good food, it brings people together :)

13. ack

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I apologize for the way I wrote my response - I knew you were joking, and my response was tongue-in-cheek...

I hope that I didn't give the impression that I'm thin-skinned - quite the contrary, actually.

BTW, I'm very impressed with the knowledge base in this Forum - I've been reading through old posts pertaining to building guitars and basses, and there is a wealth of great information.

As for the workshop, I really want to make some good decisions when it comes to outfitting the space with the proper tools and necessities before I waste any $, so I'll be asking some more questions.

Peace.

14. ack

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    so true.

15. Well, I stumbled on to this thread a bit late. I too have been shopless for a while (since last May, actually). But my guitarists son decided to build a guitar for senior project, and wanted me to mentor him. And they have a good sized shop! We now have 4 guitars and 2 basses in the works. The only down side is that the shop is 40+ miles out of town up in the mountains. But beggers cant be choosers.........

16. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    I just realized how happy I am to have a workshop in my Uni!

17. You realize that you now have to explain what 'Uni' is....................

18. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I took some woodoworking classes at College of Dupage for a reasonable rate (maybe $200 for the semester). Usually they hold the class at a highschool woodshop in the suburbs, mine was in naperville. Check it out.

19. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    That's easy. University. :)

20. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The school in chicago is a very very good option if you're specifically looking to work on instrument projects. If you've taken one class with him (and there are some intro classes that are relatively inexpensive) you can then buy shop time -- I think he charges a couple hundred bucks, and you can go in any Saturday (the fee covers something like 4 or 5 sessions) and work while the shop is open (as long as there isn't a clinic or other special event going on) -- use his tools, get assistance from the tech, use his bada$$ custom workbenches...and Ian is a great guy to work with and learn from!

Really, I haven't seen anyone else offering classes like he does -- focused topics, short terms, pretty reasonable rates. I took his fretwork class, which was about twice the cost of a fret job, and I walked away with one guitar refretted...so all in all, pretty sweet deal.

And his "build a guitar" program is broken up so you can take it in chunks over whatever timespan works for you. Plus there's the clinic time, so really, lots of options there.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the place :) If I was independently wealthy, I'd probably always be enrolled in classes there...

ltt