1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Advice from Fender Precision players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Hey there,
    I am playing on many gigs and sessions in which I am being asked, "Where's your Fender Precision"? We need that sound.
    I am looking to buy new from Sweetwater. I have up to about $2,000 tops. I know there are many variables in getting "the sound"....wood, strings, neck and pickup height etc. Any recommendations?
    Thanks

2. chris merrill

chris merrill

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
  3. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    Well with a 2k budget you will have no problem but try going somewhere where you can actually PLAY 2 or 3 that way you can tell which one of the many variations are best for you.

4. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    +1

The new American Standard Precisions with the Custom Shop pickups are good basses (at least the ones I've seen on the racks at my local music stores). I would personally opt for a rosewood neck myself, but maple is good, too.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    American Standard or American Vintage, depending on which specs you prefer.

6. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Fender Am Std Precision is pretty reliable on that "Precision" sound. A good majority of MIM P's can get just as good of sound, but you have to find the right one. Swamp Ash or Alder is going to be your best bet, and run of the mill P-bass pickups are going to get that sound they're probably looking for. I've always been partial to a Rosewood fretboard on my P's because of the "warmth" it gives.

Honestly, if you've got a Jazz, try running the front pickup only and you'll get pretty darn close. Probably close enough to make the engineer happy.

7. godblender

godblender Banned

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    A big +1 to the aforementioned American Standards. They'll very nice instruments and play/sound at least as good as a couple of the more expensive American Vintage Re-issues that I've fooled around on. That's IF you really need or want to spend that much. Some of the much cheaper Squier models sound great and will definitely get you that "P bass sound", but the quality control on those can be hit or miss and you'd be wise to find one that you like and play it in person.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! They are hearing with their eyes mostly. You could show up with an American Standard P bass with stacked humbucker pickups and a stacked knob three band active pre and they would never know the difference even though it would sound nothing at all like a vintage P. They would simply SEE a P bass (especially with USA stamped on it) and think "OK, he's got a P bass. He's good to go." You could also show up with a REDDI with the guts removed and a Rapco DI box shoved in it and they would think your setup is the most amazing thing ever. They don't know the difference in most cases.

That being said, if it gets you gigs, just get the P bass and be done with it.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Or they could genuinely want the P-Bass sound! :)

I would also agree that an American Standard is a good choice.

10. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Why Sweetwater specifically?

I didn't see it on Sweetwater but I've been GASing for a Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz Bass. $900

F8700300X.

I currently play a G&L SB-2 and I don't think I'll ever buy a P without a J at the bridge, it just opens up way more tonal options while still giving you the solid P tone when you want it.

That Reggie (to me) just looks freekin' cool!

11. msact

msact Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    I have been thinking about that bass also.

I was at my local GC today. They had a number of basses at 20% off for Columbus day, including some P and J basses. You might want to check that out and see if you can get a deal on something.

12. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Wow, alot of Precision players out there. I use Sweetwater because they have always been very honest and fair in the past. Plus they have let me return things if I was not happy for a full refund. I have been reading lately, here on Talkbass, that the P/J combo will not give you that complete Precision tone, that its close, but not quite there. I guess it does open up some tonal possibilities. They do have the Deluxe Precision these days. I hear its just not the same as a Precision though.

13. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    I've loved every single one of my MIA Standards. Always a solid option, especially when $$ is on the line...

01F1C927-3ABC-4BA1-89A8-B4766CFF7A7B-3705-0000041CCE541A34_zpse503b463.

7E7B0F06-80AB-4605-8A32-5E8855EEC850-3705-0000041CD5FD5CCA_zpsda6f5ed2.

Find the right one and it will be a partner for life.... :bassist:

14. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    I dunno, I would be VERY surprised if anyone could tell the difference between a P/J bass with the J off and a P bass in a band context or a recording. I bet the strings you choose would make more of a tonal difference.
    Doesn't matter to me though. Get the bass that moves you.

15. chris merrill

chris merrill

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    go get the P-bass!

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I would look for an older used Precision. Despite what many people think, Fender did make some great instruments in the 1970s and 80s. 1981 to 1983 are very good due to a change in management at Fender who made the decision to move production back to the original Fullerton, California plant. They used the same tools and equipment as the Pre-CBS era and hired back many of the same workers. The quality is great. I recently purchased one in perfect condition from a fellow TB'er for $750. I have never had so many compliments on my tone.

17. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Don't do it maaaaaaan..... Get the P/J...

Just kidding around. :D

It's Friday and my Alcohol Low Level light just went off.

18. I recommend the AVRI series.

but I'd go for a used 62, pre 2013.

19. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    What's wrong with the 2013 model year?