Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need advice on downsizing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by melissalmurphy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    i've read the threads on combos, but didn't find the advice i was looking for. i'm wanting to go smaller. we rarely gig, and my 2 x 15 cab is just to big to lug around for recording and practice. i play in a 3 piece rock band, so the bass can definitely be heard. i like a nice low tone, not too bright or plunky, but not distorted. and price is a factor. i really can't spend more than $400.

1. would it be better to just downsize to a smaller cabinet and keep the same head (peavey session bass), or trade both for a combo? for some reason my husband favors the combo.

2. since most people don't seem to be in favor of the combo...would you recommend a 115 cab, 112, or maybe even 210? i want something that could gig if mic'd.

3. opinions on gaillen-kruger backline and swr cabs? (the lower dollar ones)

i know the best way is to go test stuff out, but we've got a little baby and live an hour from a music shop. want to go in with a pretty good idea of what i want. thanks for any advice you have.

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    You're probably looking for a used single 15 combo. The combo will make life easy for you and it won't be a bear to lug around. Or $400 could also get you a new SWR Workingman's 1x15T. Someone else will no doubt chime in with some ideas. :)

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    "Won't be a bear to lug around"??? You had better check the "Combo Amp Megathread". Do a search on "combo amp" and read some of the nightmare stories from combo owners. Some of the tales in that "Pros and Cons" thread will send a chill down your back. And that one about the banged up shins made me cringe. Check it out. :eyebrow:

4. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    then you favor a smaller cabinet over the combo? advice on any cabs in particular? 112, 115?

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    With the Sssionbass head you want a 4 ohm cabinet so you can use all your watts. I'd check out Avatar, maybe a 2x10 or 1x12. I've had both Avatars and thought they were great. I'm not sure which ones are available in 4 ohms. But I'm sure someone up on there Avatar's will chime in with the info. ;)

6. I think combos are too heavy to lug around. I find it much easier to move a head and a smaller cab. Think about what it would be like to move your amp AND cab at the same time.

I would keep the head and look into the possibility of get one or two 1x12 cabs. 12's seem to give the best performance vs. size ratio.

Based on my limited experience I would recommend the Avatar sb112. http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

7. I agree that you want to run a 4 ohm load to get the most out of your Peavey head. I believe all Avatar cabs are available in 4 ohm.

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    What I meant by that was that you won't need a bear to carry it for you, but you will need a cart pulled by a few farm animals...maybe a pig and a goat...for example. :rolleyes:

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    What kind of 2x15 cab are you currently using? Depending on what you have there are single 15" and even single 12" cabs that may very well be louder and sound much better that your 2x15 set-up....Downsizing doesn't always mean Downgrading, and Downgrading can be Degrading, and, well you get the point..

10. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    it's a fender vt bassman. still has the original fender speakers. doesn't sound bad, doesn't sound great.

11. I went for a lightweight rig and recommend cabinets with 'Neo' speakers in them. This reduces the weight a lot and makes them easier to carry.

eg Accugroove. Pricey but when you hear them they will blow your mind. The Tri 112L is a 1x12" + a 1x6" + 2x tweeters

Another make is Epifani again good but pricey

Small heads include

Accoustic Image focus weight 5lbs and 600 watts into 4 ohms
    " " Clarus weight 5lbs and 200 watts into 4 ohms

GK RB1001 [I think thats right] weight about 15 lbs, popular on this board

Yamaha 500 weight about 10lbs new on the block not sure of specs.

Thunderfunk not sure of the weight but fantasic with Accugroove.

Walter Woods possibly the ultimate at 7lbs and 1200? watts but it is very very expensive.

Regards

Matthew

12. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    thanks for the recommendations, but you lost me at the word "pricey"! ;)

13. All of these choices are WAY out of the price range!

14. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    i didn't do my physics homework. ohms are resistance, right? so fewer ohms means less resistance?
    -clueless

15. Yes that is the basic idea. A cab with a lower "impedance" will allow the amplifier to produce more watts.

16. Sorry I was speed reading the thread and missed the budget. As a result please disregard my previous post! :oops:

:bag:

Matthew

17. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    gotcha!

18. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    no problem. but feel free to contribute donations to the fund, or even donate some of that equipment!

19. Brian Middleton

Brian Middleton

Feb 4, 2005
    Boston
    I'm in the market for a new cab too, and one of the ones I've been looking hard at is the Dr. Bass Rx212. 2 12" speakers in a pretty compact, 50 lb. cabinet for $300, and they get great user reviews. It might fit your needs pretty well from what you've been saying.

www.drbasscabs.com

20. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    i'll check it out. thanks!