1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice on PA System

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by dave120, Oct 1, 2010.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking into getting a new PA system for my band, but I don't know much about the things outside the bass realm. Most times we just use house PAs but we've started to do non-bar/club shows lately and having our own PA would be very convenient.

I'm looking for something with plenty of power and also pretty good sound, and enough inputs to mic 6 or so drum mics up as well. It seems finding power amps is easy, but finding speakers that can handle reasonable power are very expensive.

Looking to spend up to $1000 for a decent system, not including mics and stuff. Just speakers, power head, mixing board.

Any suggestions on systems to look into?

Thanks in advance

2. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    It's just my opinion but I think you're going to have increase your budget to get everything you're looking for.

3. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    + 0ne. You might be able to get a pair of speakers for a $1000.00.

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Add another zero to your price and that will get you in the ball park for what you are asking for.

5. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

:eyebrow:

Well...thats not alot to work with.

So...prolly a powered mixer..and a coupla 15" mains.

We used to use the Mackie 808S.(8 channel)which is about $700+

And Yamaha 15" mains(I forget the model, but theyre about $400 each, maybe a lil less)
    Dont cheap out on speakers though.because as your PA grows, you will prolly add subs and whatnot, upgrade to poweramps and a big board, but you'll still be using those main speakers.
    I know that puts you over your limit a little.

NOW, I know you may think 8 channels isnt enough, BUT, for the drums...get a small cheap 6/8 channel mixer (even a behringer if you like ;) )....

Run all the drums thru the little mixer, take the line out of that, run it to 1 channel of the big mixer.
    Now you have more open channels on the big one, AND, you can control the "overall drum volume" just by playin with the one channel.(clearly, you want to get the volumes proper in the lil mixer first.)

K...enough of my flip flop, banged up, run-on sentence suggestions.

Hope that helps...some.

6. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

$1000 might get you a mixer and maybe a power amp if buying new. Used - maybe a second power amp.

7. stu1965

stu1965

Aug 9, 2010
    Tampa, Fl
    well, this sucks that you live in FLA. Im selling my entire PA system..16 chan mackie, power amp, effects, bins, the works....(for 1k)...id hate to ship it all tho. arent you supposed to be in NY soon? lol. (good luck with the search) u can see it here - http://public.fotki.com/stu1965/misc-gear-for-sale/

just too much to ship

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

9. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

I wish I had been on Talkbass 10 years ago. This is the kind of advice I would have loved to have, without having to figure it out myself years ago, after several, umm... "less than stellar" gigs.

Plus, this little tidbit makes life and sound SO much better at an outdoor gig.

10. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

It's basically the same as having a mixer with sub groups where one fader operates all the drum levels.

Good idea for sure.

11. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the tips. There is one of those Mackies you mentioned on craigs locally for $450, maybe I should look into it.

I typed that post wrong. The mixing board doesn't need to be in the package. I'm mainly looking for a power amp and a couple speakers. I have everything else. I like the Crown XTi2000 for a head. I just can't find speakers that are reasonably priced that can handle the power.

12. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

Well...some of my advice is still valid.

DONT go cheap lookin for speakers.That doesnt mean they hafta be the top of the line..JBLs or ..whatev.

Thats why I reccomend the yamahas.Ill try to find out the model.(its not the $200+ ones , or whatever ..they are over $350 each)

They are great for the $, and Ive never had bad luck with those.(including all 3 bands I've been in that used them.)

ALSO, I know its tempting..but I wouldnt reccomend powered speakers, as..
    1. theyr much heavier..
    2. cost more
    3. Not as flexible (your basically stuck using the amp in the speaker..so upsizing is tricky-er...not as many options in a pinch, when suttin goes wrong and u hafta use your monitor amp for the mains..or for the subs...but thats down the road..)
    4.When the power amp goes, and it may...you're down a whole speaker while its being fixed for 7 mos under warranty..vs, a non powered speaker, when your amp blows...u borrow another, and u still have both your speaker.

Just sayin..we used to do our own sound....before we could afford sound guys.
    :bassist:

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you pick 'n pull from CraigsList and the like, you can piece together a decent basic PA for $3K - 4K...mixer, crossover, power amps, mains, and subs. Don't forget to set aside an allowance for cables!

Riis

14. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Well pretty much every thing in this post about powered speakers is WRONG.:rolleyes: Most powered speakers are not that much heavier than the non powered version. If your amp goes down at a gig then you are screwed unless you have a spare. You could limp through a gig with just one powered speaker if needed.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021