1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need advice - re: 1965 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkudding, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jkudding

jkudding

Apr 24, 2008
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've come across a 1965 Fender Jazz bass in a small Canadian town, and have a few questions about it, as I am considering purchasing it.

The dealer does not have a firm price on the instrument, but is looking for $14 - $20k CDN. I'm hoping that someone has some good advice in terms of what makes the instrument as valuable as it is, and if this is indeed a good buy.

The serial number is 109221

It is Olympic White w/ matching headstock

Condition is Excellent

There is some slight separation at the neck joint, on the side of the joint, where one could probably fit 2-3 credit cards in-between. Also, the neck does not fully cover the bottom of the joint. (I'll try to post a picture of it a.s.a.p)

My first question is whether or not Olympic White is considered a "rare color". As I'm sure you all know, this will significantly impact the value of the instrument. I am unaware as to the "rare-ness" factor of Olympic White w/ matching headstock on a 1965.

Second, is a dis-jointed or non-fitting neck joint something that will bite me in the rear a short time down the road? Also, is this something that may signify a non-original neck?

With the few details that I've been able to give, I hope that you guys can give me some insight into the value of this instrument, and what would constitute a reasonable offer for me to put in.

Thanks in advance!

-Justin

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Binding? Blocks?

Either way too much in the economy.....10 grand usd before last fall...... now?

Aj

3. jkudding

jkudding

Apr 24, 2008
    Calgary, Alberta
    No binding or blocks.

Thanks!

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I was considering a Oly white 66 dots/binding. This was around Thanksgiving.

Very nice bass,sounded great. Had a large gap in the neck pocket.

With research it seemed 10 grand was a fair price for both party's

Oly white is a custom color,it is however one of the most common..

I also was inquiring about a 65 L series sunburst and 6500-7000 was the fair for both party's price.

"Second, is a dis-jointed or non-fitting neck joint something that will bite me in the rear a short time down the road? Also, is this something that may signify a non-original neck?"

No and No.

Aj

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Way overpriced unless the bass is dead mint, IMO.

Oly White is a custom colour, but not super rare for that year.

+1 about the neck pocket.

6. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    People answering this should take into account the fact that used gear in Canada is a good 20-30% more expensive than in the states.

I was lucky to find an ampeg 115 for $300 and I often see them go for $225-$250 south of the 49th parallel.