1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice - V/T three way switch feasible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstr00, Jun 19, 2019.

1. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I’m considering a new build and had an idea for the electronics, but wanted to see if it’s workable if anyone had done something similar. I’m going for simplicity; as simple and spare of a signal path as possible, passive.

The pickups are going to be a P and MM, both as close to their sweet spots as possible, which means more or less on top of each other. Single stacked knob with V/T. Instead of a blend, I want to use a 3 way switch.

My thought is that I need to change sounds pretty quickly during sets, and this configuration will cover the P and MM traditional tones, plus a blend of the two if I need a modern full range sound. I “think” these three controls will get all the tones I need.

More and more, I’m becoming a meat and potatoes tone guy. It sounds good in theory, does anyone have practical experience with a setup like this?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    As far as the wiring, no problems there. Piece of cake. Several of my builds are wired that way.

As far as your P/MM pickups, not sure. Others have had this same thought, a search might turn up some real-life experiences. I like a little (or more) space between my pickups.

Remember that part of the characteristic MM sound is the active preamp, and part of the characteristic P sound is the absence of a preamp...

3. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    for inspiration...