1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need advice: Video camera + external microphone for live recordings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Colonel_Claypoo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    hello everyone!

i'm looking for the most efficient way to record my band's live perfomances audiovisually meaning as cheap as possible while maintaining the highest quality possible.

what would you recommend me for a video camera (hd?)
    and external microphone?

thanks a lot:hyper:

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    What's your max. budget?

3. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    well, i wouldn'T say i got a budget since i'm more taking a first glimpse and picturing in my mind what can be done with this. so i'm free for any affordable reocmmendations and that, in my mind, is below $1000:eyebrow:

4. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    So many variables... are you using a mixing board with output...just recording speaker output... need multiple mics to mix all instruments? (Just to name a few.)

In a live venue...practice studio?

I'd recommend spending some time on camcorderinfo.com for a good place to start.

5. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    thanks!

i eductated myself a bit about camcorders.
    i'm now looking for mics. i read a few cameras have an input for a mic. now what stereo mics would be a good choice for a live room recording? just one with decent quality would do i think.

6. DeepBottom

DeepBottom

Apr 8, 2009
    West of Eden
    If there's a mixing board you could just plug in there. All your gear is already going through the board, just hook up the audio out into the camera or into a laptop/recording medium. A good quality tripod is a must.

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Just make sure you are feeding a mic level signal into the camera. Line level will distort.

I don't use stereo mics, so can't help much. Check out Sweetwater.com for info, or B&H Audio.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Some cameras have headphone output so you can hear what's being recorded.

To get a more balance recording, it might be helpful to use a small mixer. Take a line out from the P.A. (especially for the vocals and combine with a microphone.

9. Getting a camera with a stereo mic input, and a decent stereo, doesn't seem like it will come in under $1000...

if you're more interested in the audio, I'd say simple digital or minidisk recorder, with a good mic. Sync the video to a buddy's cheap camcorder if you want.