1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Ampeg Rig Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rustybaker, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rustybaker

rustybaker

Feb 12, 2009
    I could use a little help on this topic. I've been playing out of a monster eden combo amp for most of my career and have never ventured into the "rig" department believe it or not, until now. I just picked up a used ampeg b2r and svt 4x10he cab. It sounds great but its lacking bottom end. Here is what I know....

The head is 200 @8 ohms, 350 @ 4ohms
    the cabinet is an SVT 4x10 he which has 400W RMS and 800W
    program. 8 ohms.

I want to add an SVT 15 e which is Handles 200W RMS, 400W program. 8 ohms

I know that when i run both amps together, they will run at 4ohms each.

A) will i be able to put 350watts through both cabs if they run together?
    b) will they both be able to handle 350 watts? what does program mean?
    c) is this going to work or am i going down the wrong road here?

ANY help would be great, thanks. Russ:help:

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    No your cabinets will still be 8Ω each but together they will present a 4Ω load. I suspect this is what you ment but it's best to be specific when dealing with Ohms!

Ignore "program" ratings, they are basically meaningless.

With your amp giving 350W @ 4Ω, each cabinet will receive half of that or 175W. Your 15 will be close to its maximum while the 4x10 will be at less than half. You could find that the 15 is a bit louder or they could match nicely. Trial will tell you.

You may find that the whole new set up is also "lacking in bottom". Most bass cabs cut off at around 60Hz. Not too great in a bass cab IMHO.

Paul

3. Daisy chaining two 8 ohm cabs doesn't mean each will run at 4 ohms, in fact, impedance is a value that doesn't change, an 8ohm cab will stay 8 ohm no matter what.

What is going to happen is that the total added impedance of the cabs will be 4 ohms, your head will put out 350 watts into a 4ohm load, each cab, being 8 ohm will ''receive'' half of that power, meaning 175w into each cabs.

4. rustybaker

rustybaker

Feb 12, 2009
    So basically I screwed this one up. I suck, lol. I just bought the b2r and svt 410he for 500 bucks used, but in mint condition. you think i sucked there too or is that a good deal at least? i think what im going to have to do is sell the cab and get the svt 4x10 hlf which is 500 watts @ 4ohm and ported. i just love throwing money away.

5. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I never really thought my 4x10svt had a lot of bottom end response in the 10 years that i used it as my main rig. I recently moved to 2 Aggy DB112's and love the low end I'm gettting from those, they destroy my 4x10...and both of them together are still lighter!

6. Mooblar

Mooblar

Jan 9, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I used the B2r and 4x10 hen (8 ohm) as my main rig for about 4 years. I always thought the low end was on the weak side when playing with a 4 to 5 piece "loud rock band". However, at reasonable stage volume with a 7 piece classic psychedelic classic rock tribute band I always found the combination to be adequate.

After joining talkbass I began learning more about frequency response and began looking for a cabinet to round out my sound. I settled on the SWR Big Ben (8 ohm). The band I'm in (4 piece, Guitar/Vox running two amps, Keys/Vox, Loud Drums/Vox, and Bass) always compliments me on my tone. Most of the time I just bring the B2r and Big Ben to shows. I just have to be careful to not push the amp too hard as it's not really enough to properly push the Big Ben at 8 ohms.

I think you got a good deal on this combination, and you have plenty of options in other 8 ohm cabs out there.

Have fun in your journey!

7. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You should be able to find an HLF for failrly cheap, actually; I've found that the HLF really likes Solid State heads (like your B2r), and has tons of clean low end, so that might be a good "one cab" solution. I'd say that's a better option that adding a 1x15.

8. rustybaker

rustybaker

Feb 12, 2009
    thanks for your replies everyone. I just listed my 4x10 he on craigslist in NY and and looking for an hlf now. I was playing out of an eden 4x10 200 watt combo and it was just cutting it, hence why i "upgraded" to a 350 watt or so i thought. Im in a rock band with 2 guitarist who like to go to "11" so i need that extra kick. Ive been hearing great stuff about the hlf and i think putting 350 through it with the b2r i should be set. Know anyone looking for a svt 410 he in the longisland areA????????