1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need direction for a 6 string set.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DerHoggz, Mar 12, 2010.

1. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    So my current strings (DR Extra Life, Peacock Blue), are beginning to feel like they need replacing after about 6 months.

I play acid jazz, reggae, funk and the likes (that is very disparate I know), I also play in my school's jazz bands, which play a wide variety of stuff; swing, light funk, easy jazz etc. My one and only bass is an Ibanez SR406, so these strings need to be versatile. I slap and fingerstyle mostly.

Flats are interesting me, and being a high-school student I can't really afford TI's or other such expensive strings. Chromes look like a nice choice. What about D'Addario Half-Rounds, I've read somewhere they are lifeless and rough. How about Rotosounds, how do their flats rate tonally? What about the Tru Bass nylon tapewounds, how do those do with slap, I understand they aren't bright at all.

What about Circle K's I realize they aren't flats but maybe they are what I'm looking for.

Anyone know a DR .125 Extra Life's tension on 34" scale?

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020