1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need good EQ/DI to replace current GK amp

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MX21, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    My regular venue is switching to using in-ears for monitoring. I currently use a GK MB200 amp into a 110 cab for onstage monitoring and use its DI out to the PA system for FOH.

We have a cheap general purpose Behringer DI, but I'd prefer to have get a more bass focused preamp/DI with similar EQ control, maybe with sweep-able mid. Phantom or battery powered is also desirable.

Any suggestions?

2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    not sure I follow. The GK is a neat little micro head, and it is solid state so I don't think it will be harmed if you don't connect it to a load, as you would with a tube amp. Use it for its tone, and connect the line out to any decent direct box to send to your mixer.

But if you are unhappy with the tone you're getting from the GK, that's a different story. There is Tech21 VT character series, EBS MicroBass II Bass Preamp Pedal, WTDI World Tour Direct Box/Bass Preamp from Eden....lots of good stuff out there.

3. You would struggle to find a better pre/di for what you could get for the mb200. Maybe a sansamp BDDI or VTDI would work for you, I'd hang onto the MB since it already works.

4. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'm happy with the mb200, but am planning to use it elsewhere. I definitely will hang on to it. I have one of the early ones with the speakon / 1/4" combo jack, making it very versatile.

5. The only potential problem is ground looping, try it out at the venue in question.

6. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus

Sep 28, 2010
    Radial JDI inexpensive option for your basses tone (no color), Avalon U5, or Reddi (tubey ampeg B15 tone)

7. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    This is screaming for the RMI Basswitch IQ DI.
    There is no better floor preamp/DI having all these features in perfect execution on the market right now.

The A designs REDDI that has been mentionned, is a great DI as well, but has no EQ and can be tricky to use groundingwise in some specific environments.

8. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Looks nice, but wow! I can buy 3 more GK MB200s for that. I forgot to mention "inexpensive" as a requirement. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I picked up an MXR M80 for a great deal, so I'm going to try that one first.

Thanks

9. You do know your mb200 has a DI already? :confused:

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    1. Use the GK
    2 . radial Bassbome is the least sexy, most useful pedal of all time...

11. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I was going to suggest the M80. I use one with my GKs and I think its a better match then the SansAmp stuff. I like to use both channels on with the drive and blend way down.

12. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    See post #4

13. Elsewhere??

14. Did you look at Ashdown they make a EQ/DI been looking real hard.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ashdown-12-band-graphic-eq-di-pedal?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=COykv8nBw7oCFUPl7AodXTUA4w&kwid=productads-plaid^57301329187-sku^H89125000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^30423798147

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Lots of people like the M80 - if that doesn't work out for you, I would recommend checking out Aguilar's TH pedal, or Eden's WTDI - both can be had for decent prices...

- georgestrings

16. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Aguilar Tone Hammer or ToneBone Bassbone would be my recommendations.

17. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    You can also look in PA or recording departement of the music store for a channel strip Preamp/EQ. (even comp)

Lots , lots & lots of models for all the budgets.

18. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    3Leaf Enabler.

19. Bassbone,

Tech 21 Para Driver DI

Zoom B3

Presonus Studio Channel for a rack mount option. Rack it up with a Korg DTR1000.

Just a few that I have used and can recommend.

20. The Hartke Bass Attack is a great preamp / DI. The fact that its also inexpensive is a bonus.