1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help choosing an SX bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turtlegrubs, Jan 8, 2012.

1. turtlegrubs

turtlegrubs

Jan 8, 2012
  2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    For your purposes, I'd pick the first one.

3. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Functionally, neither bass will prevent you from playing RHCP or Jazz on it.

Although I like the look of the Black Hum MN better, it appears that the MN Pro 3TS has some upgrades differences over the Hum: High Mass Bridge, improved tuners & pickups, and hand-filed frets. It's also made of Ash which might be a tad heavier.
    I couldn't tell the difference between Ash and Alder tonally, but it's probably negligible.

If you're intent on getting an SX from Rondo, then check out the SX (Essex) Owner's Club threads to read the reviews of the Humbuckers - I think they're a fairly new addition.

Personally, I'd take my $200 and look locally for something used that floats your boat.
    If Jazz type basses are your thing, see if you can find an old Peavey Foundation to at least try.

Good luck.

4. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I'd save up an extra $100 and snag myself a Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Classic Vibe Jazz instead. No need to thank me until later.

5. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    I've purchased and am happy owner of and SX. Its fairly common for people to need some fret work done on these instruments as part of their initial setup. The "Pro" series (2nd choice) may prevent you from needing this done. As mentioned above, you may want to read some review on it. There won't be any reviews on the first bass as its brand new.

6. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I think the happiest SX owners are experienced players who can afford to do their own setups, fret filing, and mods. A relative newb, on the other hand, may have trouble ordering an SX and hassling with a possible return, lacking warranty service, etc. Some SX basses are really good, esp. for the money, but for a newish player I would still go for the Squier.

7. turtlegrubs

turtlegrubs

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks for your answers guys, and I upgrading parts isnt very troubling for me because I have enough spare money and I think my bass teacher can help too, do you still think I should get a squier?

8. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada

i have the 2nd one you linked ..the maple neck sunburst ...i find the bound neck is uneccessarily wide ....but i have small hands ....

9. It's not just switching out parts, it's adjusting your bass to be playable (ie: a setup). Most people think the parts are good enough by themselves, although I modded the crud out of mine.

An SX would be a pretty good place to start learning about how to set up a bass.

10. Strohsx

Strohsx

Aug 16, 2011
    Buy the first one and post a sound clip so I can hear it before buying it :p

11. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    I don't think the upgrades on the pro are so critical. Save the cash towards a new set of strings and a setup by a local music shop.

12. jkjgiants26

jkjgiants26

Sep 12, 2009
    California
    Get the first one because even if it does have problems your teacher can probably help you and i dont think you should get a Squier as selowitch said just because it MIGHT have a better setup because either way a new bass always will play much better with a good setup.

i have played both Squiers and SX's and im going to have to say that for the price range SX's are slightly better based on the fact that there so damn affordable and play great

13. Karl Hartel

Karl Hartel

Oct 16, 2009
    I just bought an SX Ursa 2 MN 3TS Ash SB and for me and in IMO it is one of the best Basses I own. Some people would say I'm crazy but it is a fantastic Bass. As far as setup and fit and finish, way better than I expected. The only thing in the setup that needs attention is the nut is cut a little high, but almost all Bass & Guitars come with nuts cut high. The jumbo frets are perfect and IMO the neck feels great. It is thicker and chunkier than an AM STD Jazz neck but feels really nice to me. I'm comparing this SX to a 2008 AM STD Jazz; which I own and love and is obviously better than the SX but not by as much as you'd think, a MIJ Jaguar Bass; which I own and needed a lot of electrical work to it, because it was wired incorrect from the factory, the tuners & bridge on the SX are better than the Jaguar, a 60's CV P-Bass; which I own and is a very nice bass that sound's awesome stock but it has vintage size frets which some people like but I don't.

I love the jumbo frets on the SX, some people hate them. I was planning on upgrading the SX's PU's, Tuners, Bridge, Pots, and was thinking I was going to have to do some fret leveling and end filing. After playing it for 2 weeks and through Fender Bronco 40, Hartke 4x10 Combo, 15" PA system, the Frets and neck are perfect, the PU's sound great as good as STD Fender Jazz PU's if not better, the tuners and the bridge are fine as is. Quality is not an AM STD Jazz, but it does compare to MIJ Jaguar & 60's CV P-Bass.

I own a lot Guitars and Basses and I know consistency in Quality control varies, but I own 3 products from Rondo Music, This SX Jazz Bass, Douglas Tele copy that had excellent fit and finish, and an Agile 3000M LP copy that has Top Quality components and and needed nothing except tune the strings.

I would have no problem recommending anything from Rondo. The cases they sell are very nice and sturdy as well. For the money you can't go wrong. I have small hands and I like neck on The SX. It is chunkier than some, I would Try out a CV Jazz bass and than try some thing with a chunkier neck like a Schecter w/jumbo frets and see which one you like better.

14. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    If you have enough extra money to upgrade all of the parts, then why don't you just buy something good instead?

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. Or rather than Squier look around used as someone suggested. There are some truly fine used basses out there in this price range if you can find them.

But that said, let me also say that as said above for a noob I'd strongly recommend the PRO model over the other, even though I personally like the idea of a bridge humbucker. The reason I say that is because the PRO model has a number of the usual not so fine things about SX basses already improved and upgraded. It is WELL WORTH the extra cash to NOT have to hassle with these things yourself.

But if you find nothing used, and decide to go new, just remember that your SX will be "lessons" in what the various things on a bass do, like "how to install shielding" and so on. Once you look at it as an educational project, they are well worth the money.

16. I must be lucky then because I'm a bass dummy (less than 1 year in...) and I have 2 SX's (1 used 1 new) and I love my Jazz copy. Didn't do nothing but have it "set up" and changed the strings. Plays lovely...

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Absolutely get the Squier.

18. [​IMG][/IMG]

Well just in case this question wasn't satisfied over 7 months ago I vote for either of the Squiers too. I wonder what the OP bought? LOL

19. I've been wanting an SX myself. The price and the looks of the '51 P copy in black is very attractive. For the price you can't go wrong, imo, if you're not afraid of setups or mods in the future. If it's got a workable neck and a pickup, it's worth playing, imo.

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    For the noob my choice is always the SX PRO model. You get some of the key mods taken care of for few bucks.

The bent SX bridge is not so hot. The saddles are loose and slide all around. You are always prying on it during a setup. (I never change the bridges) The High mass bridge on the other hand is much better and much more stable. Both sound fine though.

Another thing. the standard SX tuners can be quite variable. Some very stiff, some loose as a goose on the same bass! But they work well enough. PRO tuners are much better. Which is a nice plus.

Plus, I hate the "cheap" look of the plain black or white pickguards and always change them. While the pro doesn't let you pick your color, it does give you a nice pearloid without paying an arm and a leg.

I"m pretty sure electronics are the same in there and other features about equal too. But unless you are an experienced modder who wants the final bass just so, I'd spend the few extra bucks to get the pro model.