1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help finding this tone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCouary, Jun 27, 2012.

1. MCouary

MCouary

May 6, 2008
    Mexico
    Hello folks, I'm just a bass player in need, hope you can help out. I've been playing the bass for myself and as a hobby. Right now I'm the proud owner of a Lakland 55-01 and a Am. Standard Jazz Bass. I find the tone between them quite similar. Recently, I've been hearing this bass tone in my mind. If you listen to this video, you'll kind of get an idea.

Hope you don't mind the video is in a foreign lenguage (spanish to be precise)

I really dig that tone, but would like it meatier. Meatier like, a little bit more bass and growl. I can't quite get the tone out of my basses. Feels like it's missing that burp or growl (don't know how to describe it) when played with my fingers.

Also, I'm planing to buy a new bass. Care to tell me if any bass at all would give me that tone in a live gig? I'll be really thankful if you help me out. Cheers!

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Sounds like a P bass to me.

3. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    When you say "more bass" and "growl" I think P bass.

But that sounds like a Jazz bass to me. It's so compressed that it's hard for me to tell.

Use your J's - favor the neck pickup volume-wise but play closer to the bridge pickup. And pluck pretty hard - that's a big part of the growl. Mess around with your pickup height too. A slightly over-driven, big huge tube amp would sure help a lot.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just looked on some Youtube vids, and the bassist is using some boutique 5 string with J pickups. No idea what kind, though.

5. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    BTW - I'm digging the song. I like songs in languages I don't understand cause I can't get frustrated about the stupid lyrics when I don't know what they're saying.

6. MCouary

MCouary

May 6, 2008
    Mexico
    Well, this is just a warning anyway but trust me, you'd smash your head against a wall several times if you knew what they say.

Anyway, so basically, all I need to do is crank my compression all the way up, favor the neck pickup and hope for the best?

7. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    I'm sure it's insipid, but if I don't know then it's all good.

And play through one of these:
    [​IMG]

Check out the clip from the Sadowsky Vintage 5 "with preamp EQ":
    http://basstasters.com/preamps/Ampeg_SVP-Pro.html

8. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
  9. tdshea

tdshea

May 13, 2011
    New England
    I would go with a G&L 2000 E ,lot's of different tones in the bass itself !

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Does sound like a P bass....you need a Lakland 5564 now!

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Sounds to me like it's P time for you, buddy (or a Lakland as above).

This is pure P tone, and the way it slots in a mix.