1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help picking a cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squeally dan, Apr 17, 2009.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    I play guitar in a funk band, but we have a few gigs coming up where I will play bass. I got a 90's Fender Jazz bass I like. Now I am looking for some type of cab to pair with a GK head I got here. It will take 1 4ohm cab or 2 8 ohms. I was leaning toards getting a 4x10 cab of some sorts, but wanted to see what other thoguht. I am leaning towards the Avatar 4x10 neo. I didn't know if it might sound cooler to get a 2x10 cab and pair it with a 1x15 cab or something like that. We play some weddings that are sometimes more quiet, but we also play some clubs where I could get a bit louder. Thanks!

2. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a Peavey 210/115 stack right now. I used to have a ampeg 410 half stack. I wish i would have stuck with the 410. The 115 just doesn't cut it for me. It can be to boomy sometimes. And I also play a jazz bass. But that's just my opinion ; ) I have heard some good things about the avatars though.

3. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    Thanks. Thats the kinda stuff I'd like to hear.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think your best bet is a 4x10, or a 2x12. I don't own any avatar stuff but it is very highly regarded for the price. I don't think you can go wrong there.

5. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I play a J-bass through a pair of 2x10's because my old 4x10 couldn't fit in my wee automobile. I rather like 10's and if I want to play where I don't need the full setup, I can just use one cab. As far as resistance is concerned, both of my cabs are 8 ohms and when I use them together, they create a 4 ohm load.

I'm pretty much into fingerstyle and a not-so-hi fi sound, so even though my cabs have tweeters, I leave them switched off. If you don't mind lugging the bigger box, the 4x10 neo ought to "get 'er done" for you in just about any situation.

6. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    a pair of 2x10 cabs would be even cooler!

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I had A GK 2000RB head and ran an avatar neo 210 and a neo 212 the sound was great.

8. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    That might be cooler than 4x10's. So many decisions.

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree with the two cabinet set up. I have a 210 and a 212 and use them together for larger venue's, or alone for small stuff. The 410 would be a great choice, but why drag it around when a 210 is all you need. BTW, a 212 may be just the ticket as an all around cab. My Aguilar 212 has beefy lows and plenty of punch.

10. As usuall, if your looking for the best bang for your buck Avatar is probably your best bet.

I use my Peavey VB-2 through a 410 NEO and it sounds great for a $300 cabinet.

11. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    I have an Avatar 2x12 and it's a great cab. Everybody says their 4x10 can go a little deeper. I'd say a 2x12 and a 2x10 would be the ticket.

12. Does anyone else think the model and power outpower specs of the G-K might be relevant here?

Bluesy Soul :cool:

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LDS 115/6 with a KL3015LF/Alpha 6a is the answer. Cost of a 4x10, volume of a 6x10, weight of a 2x10.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    course, would you want to load in one cab or two? on the avatar site, read the bass guitar mag review that terry buddingh did on the avatar cabs. might be helpful in your decision. i think i remember him saying that the 4x10 was darker, fatter, while the 2x12 was clearer and more aggressive.

15. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    If I had it all to do over I would buy two 2x10 avatar cabs.

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just quoting myself for emphasis. Please call up Don at LDS or Marc at Dr. Bass (I think he's getting his wait time situation resolved) and check out the price for a 1x15 Kappalite 3015LF + Eminence Alpha6a (or MRA) cab. This setup blows any pair of 2x10s out of the water IMHO, and is lighter.

No one ever seems to listen when I suggest this, and instead goes with some random 2x10 setup or 4x10 or whatever. Stop wasting your time with junk guys. Those Kappalite drivers seriously blow pretty much everything else out of the water, and basically no commercial companies are using anything close.

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IMO the only reason not to go with 2 cabs is money. 2 cabs will be an easier haul and modular. I use Epi 210 and 115 and love it.

18. yea go with a avatar neo 4x10 and neo2x12 . Neo drivers are great at first not too bottomy but after a month or less (depending on how much and how loud you push them ) after they get broken in they sound awesome great Full tone .

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    A 15/6 with a Kl 3015LF and an Alpha 6a weighs about 45-50lbs. An Epi 210 weighs 38lbs and the 115 weighs around 42lbs.

The 15/6 is going to be as loud as both put together if you stick 450 watts into it.

I know which one I'd go with :p