Need Help with Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aquagoat, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Aquagoat

Aquagoat

Aug 17, 2009
    So after a few weeks of pain i have finally gone for to the bass community for help. Let me start out by saying i am new to the bass and thus dont know much so your patience would be appreciated. A few months back myself and friends got together started jamming and played a gig. Not having much money I bought what i could afford. I purchased GK Backline 600. Its got 300 W @ 4 Ohms. To go along with this i bought a GK Backline 4 X 10 Cab. This however has 8 ohms. The bass i play is a Spector. The problem i have is that everything together sounds like straight up garbage and the more i toy with it the worse i think it gets. Without the pad switch on it is Way louder but the tone suffers greatly. With it on ...the volume is cut in half and have to crank the boost up to cut over the drums. It also begins to sound distorted when the master volume is at half way. If the Volume is low or if is hit the strings gently it actually doesnt sound bad. But i play in a hard rock/retro metal band so when pluck harder the sound gets farty and an unbelievably annoying clicking noise happens.(the clicking i believe to be my basses fault) So any help on either how to fix this problem or what new amps and bass to buy would be great. I've also plugged in passive basses and this does sound better but still not great.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The first thing you should do IMO is either get a second 8 ohm cab, to hook up with the one you've got; or swap the one you've got for a 4 ohm cab.

You're probably only getting about 150 W using a single 8 ohm cab. Not enough.

3. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Spector what? 4 ohms into an 8 ohm cab give you about 160 watts worth of power from your head. Hard rock/retro metal band is loud enough to begin with so address the amplification issue first then look into your playing technique. If you're new to all of this then welcome to the 'cutting your teeth' part of the gig.

4. Aquagoat

Aquagoat

Aug 17, 2009
    Bought The spector used a few years back, i believe its a Legend 5, atleast thats what it most closely resembles

5. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    How can you play a bass and not know what model it is? I never understood that.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021