1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with my mystery rock origin.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

A few years ago, after we had hugh 20 foot storm surf, I found this 40 pound rock mixed with other rocks on the shoreline. As you can see it has a big hole in the middle. I thought it was cool so I climbed up a 150 foot cliff to bring this sucker home. With that said, it has been sitting on my front porch ever since. I am still trying to figure out how that almost perfect round hole was made. Some say the Chinese visited the Pacific Coast of North America thousands of years before Columbus and made boat anchors by drilling holes in rocks. Not sure if I am buying that. Any TBers with ideas how this hole was made in the rock?
    3,000 Year Old Chinese Anchors

IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG

I found the rock at this cove in Palos Verdes, CA
    Lunada-Bay-facing-Palos-Verdes-Point.

IMG_0589.JPG

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. Something was in the dirt before it was squeezed into rock. I am going with tree branch.

Stewie26 likes this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    It could be relatively more recent then you think or it may be very old, its very hard to say as there have been many people migrating through that area for thousands of years. It may have traveled a long way or it could have been in that area buried in the sea floor near by for quite awhile. I wouldn't even know who you could ask except maybe some historians or maritime scholars, its an interesting conversation piece for sure.

Stewie26 likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

no clue!! but it's a cool rock!

kudos due for even getting it! :thumbsup:

5. The sweeping sediment strata pattern is the dead giveaway.

6. It's a wheel from fred Flintstones car......

7. You are the one that stole my toilet seat from my fishin' hole. :smug:

8. Stewie26

Another thing is that the rock composition is different from the other type of local rocks. In my area we have unique rocks called Palos Verdes stone which is not found anywhere else in the world. This rock is made of a much different material which suggest it may have come from far away.

9. Stewie26

My wife wanted to fill the hole with dirt then put a small house plant in it. I told her that would ruin it as it would be covering up the hole.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Tortstone?

just spitballing ...

BurnOut, Frank Tuesday and Stewie26 like this.
  11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I have a similar stone, but much smaller. I asked some experts on an archaeology site and they thought it was naturally formed.

Stewie26 likes this.
  12. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    It has to be natural.

Munjibunga likes this.
  13. Termites.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  15. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    That's what I thought.

It's definitely a sedimentary rock and the layers are distorted around the hole. I assume that sediment was being laid down around and over a log until it was completely buried. The wood would have been preserved for awhile until it was replaced by crystals. Later, the sediment was transformed into hard rock by pressure and time. Eventually, the rock was exposed to the surface and weathering from water and sand eroded the rock into it's rounded, smooth shape. The log shaped crystals would be softer than the surrounding rock and would erode much faster until they were all gone. Result: A smooth stone with a log shaped hole in it.

16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have no issue with the Chinese anchor theory

17. I guess basic rock formation isn't universally taught in high school.

18. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It's hard to judge the size from the Pics but a rock that big should weigh more than 40 Lbs. More like 200.

bolophonic likes this.
  19. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

So, I'm completely wrong. What's the correct answer?