1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need ideas?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bluesy_92, Sep 9, 2008.

1. bluesy_92

bluesy_92

Aug 25, 2008
    The effects area is thecloset this will fit.....kinda....

Well, anyway, I'm working on a program that is supposed to have multiple guitar/bass accesories, that can all be computer-done. I have a metronome(you set it to a speed, and it clicks to a beat you can play to) and an A440 tuner (it plays a note to tune your a-string to, and then you tune to that. A440 is the most common note used to tune your guitar to.) I'm pretty sure all of you know what a metronome and tuner are, but I just figured I'd put it in anyway.

I need more simple yet useful stuff to put on it. Any ideas?

When I'm done I'll post a download on RapidShare, but I want to add more first. A metronome and a tuner are a kinda small feature list......

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I wouldn't call something that plays a particular frequency note a 'tuner' - a 'tuner' is more like something that samples the note you are playing, and then tells you if it is flat or sharp compared to some standard reference value. At least I would suggest the program allow people to choose from 'standard' pitches to tune to, ie the standard pitches for each string. Also, many people use different tunings, so you'd need to allow for that also ....

Are you writing for Windows / Linux / MAC / PC or? :)

3. bluesy_92

bluesy_92

Aug 25, 2008
    I'm writing for Windows. The tuner IS a tuner, albeit simple. A440 is the pitch of the a, and is used to tune the A-string. Then you can tune every string to the A. I was going to get all s notes from a guitar, but couldn't find the pitche in a .wav format, although A440, being common, was easy to find.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Although what you have will work, there are accurate tuners that will tune each string individually, for very little money already. But, for your (virtual multieffects?) , how about compression and eq?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What level of programming are we talking about here? I remember programming a metronome and a tone generator in Apple Basic back in, what, 1980?

I figure computers and DSP have advanced a little bit since then... but where are you at?

6. If I understand this right, your making a little tool with some general accessories related to guitar/bass playing?

Who is your target audience? Is this designed for, say, a noob player who might not have a tuner etc yet, but they can get this program to get by with in the meantime?

I presume your not making a VST type application with effects and cab modelling etc to be used for making music as such?

Having said all that, as far as playing accessories go, im not too sure what else you might include? There are already a few tuner, metronome and TAB reading / playing type apps available as shareware. Perhaps you could include a few drum loops of varying styles that you can change the tempo of... That can be a bit more interesting to practice with than a metronome.

You could throw in a diagram of a fretboard showing all the notes.

Perhaps some basic scale patterns etc...

I'll stop now in case im totally missing the point :D