1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need new strings, cant decide

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Jul 22, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    So, i've had my stock strings for about 3 months, and I want to change them because they look like they're getting old, and they don't sound quite as good (i dont even know how old they are, they were on the bass when it was on display). So, i was thinking about getting a heavy set of strings, just because i think i would like the sound, but when I saw the DR Neon strings, i really wanted them. Now, besides the fact that i'm not sure if my local guitar center or sam ash will have anything you suggest, i'd like to know some opinions about which i should get. Are the DRs good, and do they come in heavy gauge? Or would it just be better to get some nice Bass Boomers or something if i want heavy gauge?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not sure why you'd want to buy strings from Guitar Center or Sam Ash, seems strange.

Bass Strings Online is the only place to get strings these days.
    www.bassstringsonline.com

Register as a TB user on his site to get VIP pricing!

Also, any particular reason why you want heavy gauge strings?

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    There are a lot of options, and unfortunately no substitute for experience.

Generally you should only use heavy gauge strings if you want to tune lower or have higher tension... and have a good neck that can take it. I'd take a look at the Roto dropzone strings if that's your thing. Basstrings oinline should give you a huge variety to check into.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Pretty Much all manufacturers make heavy gauge sets, you just may not be able to find them locally.

DR only makes the NEON's in 40-100 / 45-105 sets...

But they make Black Beauties in 50-110

(appropriate B strings are available for both NEON and Black)

so if you did want DR Coated strings, you can get black in a heavy gauge.

You may find you like the tone of the 45-105 DR's though...

5. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Well, i found somewhere that one step to a Flea-like tone is to get heavy strings, and also i just feel like that kind of tone would be good for me, and its something different. And would I really get good prices just for being a registered TB user, because that would be awesome :D

6. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Now that you say that, i think i should reword. I would like a set of strings heavier than the normal, but not that much, i believe they sell them. I usually dont go lower than low D, and thats only occasionally if i really want to play a specific song.

7. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Awwww, thank you for reminding me about Black Beauties, I love those as well :D. I may just have to get those, will those stand up to normal tuning, the 50-110s, or should i get the next down?

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

As stated, I would get DR 10 times out of 10, I personally hate their coated strings, they feel clammy and slow for me, though I did like the neon green... only other bassists seem to like them, everybody else hated them on my bass.

Use bassstringsonline like the rest of us, most of his prices cannot be beat in the US. Since he dropped his shipping charges he is now the cheapest for me in Canada by far... I will be ordering another set of DRs later this week.

I will add that if you get a chance, and if your using a 4 string, try D'addario BXP reds, you think they will be noisy and awful because they look like acoustic guitar strings, but they are probably the best new string I have tried since I tried DR 3 years ago. They were stellar strings and I would really recommend you give them a try, they will be cheaper than DR as well.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    You can tune standard EADG with that set...

You mentioned flea... You know he has a signature set right?

10. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    I did know, i was looking at them, but quite frankly i dont see what makes them special. They aren't any thicker than the average, which is what i was looking for, and theyre expensive. Are they really that good, do you know?

11. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    What do you mean by saying they looking like acoustic guitar strings, are they thin? Or nylon? And are the black beauties coated?

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    They are the same price as the regular boomers but I don't know where you are looking...

They use a special alloy which makes them different from standard boomers.

13. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    D'Addario EXP Reds are a similar bronze color like acoustic guitar strings... Same thickness as regular bass strings.

And black beauties are coated nickel plated steel on round cores so they are very flexible.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This.

15. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    And they look like this...

expreds_keithr.

16. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Are they good for slap too? I forgot to mention that in the OP

17. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Actually, you can never go wrong with a rockin' set of Bass Boomers no matter how many people on TB would like to forget about them. :)

18. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    What ere their arguments against them? You made them seem good up until the "no matter" part :p

19. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I bought a set of Bass Boomers once, about 25 years ago. They were dead in a week, no lie. Been playing D'Addario's ever since.

20. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Yeah, i like D'addario, whihc do you suggest, should be good for slapping and, if possible, thick/deep sounding