Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need preamp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PMA, Mar 4, 2005.

1. PMA

PMA

Feb 8, 2004
    Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. For a number of years, I have been using an ART Nightbass preamp. It has a tube so can growl well and a whole host of onboard effects. I am also able to run both balanced and unbalance stereo output which can simultaneously handle input to my amp and the PA.

I am now thinking of getting something more current and would like opinions on anything similar but with current technology.

I've been browsing but don't know what to stay away from or investigate further.

Would appreciate input from this forum to help steer my thinking.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I also use a Nightbass for effects and as a backup preamp.

The more current offerings that are similar are the Line6 PODxt Pro and the Behringer Vamp Pro. I haven't really played with either one so I couldn't tell you if the are as good as the Nightbass.

I can tell you that that you would get more responses if this was posted in the (mods?) "Effects" section. Most guys here do not use a processor as their preamp.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The Boss GT-6B would be in a similar catagory as the Pod, etc.

4. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    True, it serves the same purpose but is not a rackmount unit.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    PMA, You might want to try some of the simpler traditional type Pre amps. They don't have the bells and whistles (switchable effects, modeling, etc.) but they have Gobs of GOOD SOLID TONE! Some reccomendations, the Agular DB 659, Avalon U5, Alembic FX 1 , Read Purity, Demeter. I use to run the Art and I owned tthe old ADA (the original midi pre) but I switched to the Avalon and I'm in tone Heaven . I do very little adjusting, in fact none on the Pre amp! I just use my bass tone controls and my hands. I think you will notice that the high end simple stuff is much more dynamic, has a much more open sound, wider frequencie response and are more responsive to your touch. I'm sure I didn't name them all. and most are only available at bass only shops but I think If you try one you'll be impressed. I would rather have one great sound then a thousand mediocre ones!

6. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Burk, I'm not the one looking for one.

I use Trace Elliot gear. My QuatraValve has the Series 6 preamp and I also have a RAH350SMX which ofcourse has the GP12SMX preamp. I love the tone my TE gear gives me. So much so that I keep buying TE! I only mentioned that I use my Nightbass as a backup preamp. Its there just incase during a gig if my amp dies I can plug straight to PA and still have a good sound. BTW, I'm one who actually like the tones my Nightbass creates for me. :D

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Kelly, Sorry about that, you were on about have the post and I thought it was your thread. Anyway Trace stuff is cool, nothin wrong with that.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm with burk on this one. "all in one" units can be cool, but to me they don't compete sonically with a dedicated simple preamp and high quality effects processors. The various preamps on www.basstasters.com are all cool. IMO, not every soundclip on there is an accurate representation of the given preamp, but overall they're on the money (although an MP3 won't give you all the nuance of a given tone). To me, tube or no tube is unimportant. quality components, a good design, and a simple circuit generally equal great tone. you justhave to choose the one you like best. eq sections vary considerably in layout and amount of control they have, but I find that when you find a preamp that you like the flat tone of, you will rarely use the EQ except to correct room anomalies.

9. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    This is my solution to the want of a processor without giving up good pre goodness!!! :D :

[​IMG]

Demeter HBP-1 Pre with 'the POD'. I use a Morely A/B box to switch the bass input to either one or the other.....or both!! I use a small Behringer mixer on top of the rack to combine the 2 out's on the POD and one on the Dem. to one input for the poweramp. Works for me!!!!

10. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    Here's a better view of the attached stuff to make it all happen:

[​IMG]

11. WOW!!! That is alot of stuff to carry to gigs. Do you use this rig all the time? It looks cool. I'm really thinking about getting a Demeter pre, I've heard great things about them.

12. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

The mixer, wireless, A/B box, and little ol' DI go in my gig bag. They all have velcro on their bottoms, and I just stick 'em on the rack ricky-tic!! I can have this rack set up in less than 5 miuntes. And no, I don't use this for evey gig. Right now, I am using my Demeter with a QSC RMX 850 in a little 3-space soft rack. I am about to go out and get a 4-space soft rack today and use the POD/QSC toinight for a change......................... :)

13. PMA

PMA

Feb 8, 2004
    OK, thanks for the feedback so far. One question regarding the Bass PODxt Pro. I looked at the users manual and the picture of the back I/O panel and cannot tell if I can use the unbalanced outputs to drive my on stage set up AND the XLR outputs to send a stereo signal to the PA. Is this possible? The XLR outs are not labeled L/R so it seems you can only send from the one marked DI to the snake. Any users out there who can clarify this for me?

Thanks,

Paul