Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need recommendation for a Paul Chambers album

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Apr 8, 2004.

1. I've been looking to playing jazz but I need some help finding albums that will help bridge the pop music I play and cross over to jazz. I'm studying walking basslines but I need inspiration. Can anyone recommend an album that features Paul Chambers playing "easy" walking basslines? Blues-based stuff would be great.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mosaic recently put out a 3-disc set of Paul Chambers.
    www.mosaicrecords.com
    (Look to the left of the screen...it's $39)

There's always Kind Of Blue.
    ;)

3. I'm gonna get that Mosaic set, I swear...

One of the best tips I got starting out on bass, was a piano player telling me, "I still think the most influential bassist of the 20th century is Paul Chambers."

The man had it all. I'm pretty sure that Mosaic set has almost the whole "Bass on Top" session, which will blow you away. The man literally leads an ensemble on the double bass. I've been trying to do the same thing on electric for the longest time.

Oh well, enough of my pre-coffee ramblings, go buy the set already!

(myself, I'll be spending my lunchbreak buying "Funkify your Life! :) )

4. Thanks for the heads-up on the Mosaic set. Actually, I already knew it was out but it's not being carried by any of the local music stores here. But one thing I don't like about albums that feature the bassist is that they tend to put the more intricate, complex recordings on the disc. That's not what I'm looking for. I bought a Ray Brown compilation but most of the stuff was beyond what I know...I'm looking for easier material to bridge the gap from where I am to easier jazz.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I don't know much about Paul Chambers, but I do know that he plays on Coltrane's "Giant Steps", which is an absolute necessity in any jazz collection whether you want to learn the bass or not.
    Highly recommended!

6. "Kind of Blue" is a must own for anybody wanting to get into jazz. The songs are pretty "easy" but the execution is stunning. 20 years after having been turned on to this recording I'm still learning from it.

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Milestones is a great album as well. I would look into that as well.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Also, get Ray Browns Method book. It will have you walking in no time.

9. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I was lucky enough to get to take a lesson with Robert Hurst when I was getting started playing Jazz and he told me to go out and transcribe all of Chamber's stuff on Kind of Blue. I didn't do the whole thing, but the half I did really helped at the time.

10. Bought a remastered copy of Kind of Blue and a copy of Round Midnight. Kind of Blue cost me only $10 cdn. Not a bad deal. I'll see if I can scam copies of a fake book to help me analyze the music.