1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some Accugroove feedback.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhythm5, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Got a couple of questions for the Accugroove users out there.

I am wondering how does two of the Tri 112 cabs compare to using a single Whappo Jr? Is the low end the same, or do you give up some of the deep low end going with a pair of Tri 112s?

I'm a big 15" speaker fan. While most sound great up close, most don't cut well in a club setting and sound like mud 20' from the stage. Anyone with experience on how well the Tri 115 cuts through and remains focused in a live setting?

Would love any thoughts on these 3 cabinets. Thanks!

2. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    i tried a tri112 by itself once, seems to me 2 of them will give you all the lows
    you need. i own a jr, find it to be on the deep side tone wise. it took months for me to
    break the habit of turning up the bass knob, allowing me to discover the
    syrupy rich mids & highs of this cab with the eq virtually flat. different deal.
    i love it.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    IME/IMHO, two Tri 112L's do not have the same low end depth and fullness of the Jr. A 112L/115L is much closer to the Jr., and two 115L's is even better, IMHO. The Tri 115L is not that much bigger/heavier, but to my ears, it has a lot more low end to low mids, and seems more open and effortless.

Tom.

4. +1

5. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA.
    Engineer: AccuGroove Speakers & Amps
    I mix up & change the cabs I use live all the time & I play on a weekly basis. This past weekend I used 2 Tri 112L cabs & it’s every bit as deep as a Whappo Jr. It does have a little more high end because of the double mid 6 & tweeters drivers. It’s like a portable Whappo Jr.

As Tom said, the Tri 115L is almost like a larger version of the Tri 112L. You get more of the same; more bass, more volume, more power handling, etc. Adding a Tri 112L & Tri 115L is like having a portable El Whappo.

Neither cab is floppy or woofy & they will remain clear & cut through a mix. I hope this helps.

6. Man, I hear the Tri112 as having much more mid-mid response that doesn't go away when you stack two of them versus the more open Whappo Jr. Actually, the upper mids and treble seem more apparant to my ear with the Whappo Jr. than the 2x Tri112L, since the more mid character of the Tri112 seems to mask the impact of the upper mid driver. The Tri112/Tri115 stack more closely mirrors the tone of the Whappo Jr. to my ear.

I would have also thought that you would have matched the ratio of the mid and tweeter to the cab, similar to the Acme design...where the ratio of the upper mid driver and tweeter would be constant regardless of the number of woofers:confused:

Are you saying that the upper mid driver and tweeter on, for example, the tri112 is not attenuated versus the Whappo Jr.?

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I haven't tried any AccuGroove speaker other than my own pair of Tri-112L cabs. They are great. They let me hear myself very clearly through all the stuff that's happening in the gospel choir (drums, guitars, hammond organ, horns etc.) and they also do a good job of filling the smaller churches where we don't use a PA.
    I'd love to try out the larger AccuGroove cabs someday though, I bet they are even better!

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have a Tri210L, which I love.

After listening to some of the clips on www.basstasters.com (for the Avalon U5 preamp through a Tri112L and a Tri115L), my next cabinet would be an Tri115L.

9. MAybe I should suck it up and buy the Jr., but after knee surgery that hasn't gone well, I think having smaller cabs might be a better idea. I have always loved 15s, but a lot of them don't have a great punch and definition. Sounds like the Tri 115 doesn't have this problem. Agreed?

10. +1... it's a nice cab.... very punchy, and the mid driver and tweeter, while subtle, do extend the upper end of that cab a touch. It's not huge down low... nice and punchy to my ear.

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA.
    2 Tri 112L cabs are very close, but are not the exact same driver set up as a Jr. & if one starts splitting hairs it does not sound exactly the same. However, 2 of them are a very close rendition of a Jr. & they would not be considered the poor cousin in any situation.

2 Tri 112L cabs have more low-mid response which makes the Jr. sound a little more open by comparison. If someone wanted the same exact sound & set up we could always install the mid-woofer (the upper woofer in the Jr.) in one of the Tri 112L cabs.

As stated a Tri112/Tri115 stack would also be a similar & great sounding rig. Good observations.

12. Now THIS is what makes TB such a great place. I have questions on gear and the builder himself takes the time to come on and answer the questions. Not to mention opinions from the users as well.
    I love this place, Man!

13. By the way, what is the weight on the Whappo Jr.? I have had 2 different dealers give me two different weights and each one different than the weight on the website.

14. No offense to Basstasters.com, but I find the clips there a very poor indicator of what the gear really sounds like. I certainly wouldn't buy gear based on the clips there.

15. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA.
    They run between 69 & 79 lbs depending on when they were built.

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

Hell has officially frozen over.:D

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Don't think of the Tri 115L as a '1x15.' Think of it as a '1x15-sized, full-range monitor.' :D

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Several times in recent days, actually! :eek: ;) :p :D :cool:

19. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Actually - Legend has it that Ken & Tom once agreed that a giraffe has a long neck, but if a blizzard hits vegas I'll know why.

Back to the original question. Following Ken, Tom & Mark on an Accugroove thread is like following Bill Dickens on a bass solo, but here goes -
    Rhythm - you have mentioned several times that you like 15s so do I. The Tri115 will give you more of what you are looking for than the Tri112 and be easier to move around than the Jr. & (thanks to Mark Wright) it has the sonic spectrum covered.
    Keep in mind that if you get a pair of Tri115s you lawn will probably die.
    IM very HO - speakers are like engines, there is no substitute for 'cubic' inches. Good Luck.

20. Tom and I are in a groove at the moment:D

I really like that Tri115L.... very articulate, tight and pure sounding.. no boom, no mush. It won't sizzle, but that's not what you get a 115 for anyway.