1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some help choosing a bass for home recording.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justiceci, Mar 31, 2019.

1. justiceci

justiceci

Mar 31, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I've played electric guitars for 16 years. Now i want to record some stuff at home. I've been looking for a 4-string budget bass and I am going to use for home recording. I play mostly thrash metal but I also want to be able to play other genres like blues, classical rock etc. I did some research for best budget bass and couldn't decide which one to buy? So I will probably choose one of these three basses.

- Yamaha TRBX 174 EW Natural (415 $ alder body) and TRBX 174 Red Metallic (330 $ mahogany body)
    - Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass (340 $)
    - SIRE Marcus Miller M2 (2nd Gen) (450 $ gigbag included)

These are the prices in my country. I need some suggestions to choose. Thanks.

2. I'll throw in the suggestion of a precision. They are relatively cheap, easily upgraded, and a great bass for recording.

3. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a guitar player who decided I wanted to play bass on my home recordings. Based on my experience, of the three choices, I would select the Sire M2. Lots of tonal choices form that one.

4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Personally I'd go jag. Those are killer.

Sire was recommended to me, specifically for recording, but they're just to complicated for my taste.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I also vote for the Sire - probably the most flexible of the 3.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021