1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some help deciding

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Jul 28, 2012.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Hey all I have been Ina quest for a new tube amp for the past few weeks. I bought a traynor yba1a mk II that I am using with a yba18a cabinet and also with my sons Marshall 1960 stack, he plays guitar. I got a smoking deal on a svt 810e and now I am looking for a head to power it.
    A little background I play 80% rock, metal but I also have been expanding into learning some Motown, classical and other musical types. I primarily play one of my three Fender p basses using an ebs compressor. I'd like something that can play both clean and still be able to attain that geezer butler nib sound. I rarely ever play out but I still would like to have the option.
    Here's what I'm down to
    1.) Peavey vb-2
    2.) Traynor yba200-2
    3.) 1972 ampeg v4b
    I like the modern features on the peavey and traynor amps, but when you crank the ampeg it's a thing of beauty, pure overdrive. So heres im looking for people's opinions on all three before I commit. I have a 500 budget and I have found each unit for under that, used. The traynor is the cheapest, then the ampeg with the peavey comming in right at budget. I would love to just get an svt but the cheapest I have seen them classics on guitar center is 699.00.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    V4B. It'll put a hurtin' on you through an 810.

3. If you sincerely like the ampeg sound --- why not start there and work your budget backward

It's likely that folks like jimmy can establish methods to create the sound - sometimes its not a holy grail amp... Sometimes it's knowing your common pa setup

Some will kill me for saying this...... I never use my peavey or ampeg tube amps - at front of house the stage is counter productive + schlepping sux

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Won't kill you but I have different tastes. I can't stand not playing with an amp, and I find it counter productive NOT to have some sound behind me from my rig since I hate most monitors and we don't do IEM's. And I hate total isolation of all the instruments in a mix. But the schlepping does suck sometimes ;)

And yeah, there are ways of getting a good facsimile of that sound with emulation, but tube amps are a thing of beauty and beats emulation in every way (sorry...I'm a fan of emulation but there's nothing like the real thing) so I'd never talk someone out of experiencing that, especially since he needs an amp anyway.

5. Jimmy - are there out of favor amps that will deliver the end need

6. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Well I know the Ampeg will probably sound the best of the bunch but the stage mute, DI out and FX loop are nice to have. I will say I have heard the Peavey Distortion channel on tier VB amps, only on youtube and it sounded kind of fake, more like a pedal than tube O.D.

7. Im a traditionalist - you have an Ampeg 810e - you need an Ampeg SVT head - period!
    End of discussion! Now go get you a Classic, VR, or Heritage and call it a day! You'll thank me for it! :)

8. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    I agree and I would love to have an svt-vr but I really can't afford it. Now if you want to pitch in...I would really thank you for it! :) lol

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The V4B is an amp of class, quality, and great tone. You could always use a DI pedal if you need it. tone first, to hell with modern options.

10. The reason it took SOOOOO long before I parted with my '73 V4-B? It is a awesome amp.
    My vote and recommendation is the V4-B, hands down. :)

11. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Well with that being said I have a lead on the v4b for 450.00 it's all original and in great shape. There is also a local standard v4, not the distortion model with the reverb. It was originally a v22 but the owner bought a new cabinet from fliptop and made it into a head. He wants 390.00 for that one. Should I get the v4b or the v22/v4?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    For all practical purposes it's the same amp. I tend to like the real thing better, though. Rehoused VT-22 heads just make me sad that the cab is gone.

13. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    So the v4 and the v4b are the same
    Except for the reverb

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The EQ points are slightly higher in the V4 but for all practical purposes on a gig, it's the same. Still, I'd demand the V4B because it's made specially for bass players (I mean, come on...it has a B in the name ;) ).