1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some help with a Wal...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ricky Caboverde, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I understand that lemon oil is not a finish. The neck was a bit dry so I applied some and wiped it off. I only oiled the portion of the neck where I play; I wasn't sure, but I did figure that the oil would somehow make the job of the repair a bit worse. I'm planning on putting Tung oil on the neck, but at a later date. I really want to take my time with it. Tung oil is one of those things that you just can't rush.
    As much as I'd love to believe it, there really are no good techs in miami. It's a big city, but not full of musicians and quality music shops. You really have to go up further north for that. And even then, ther are only good techs but no luthiers who do repairs. It's really sad....and strange. I'm open for suggestions if anybody knows of a good luthier near miami...I would deffinitely like this done professionally if possible, but I refuse to ship the bass.

2. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I remembered that there was a small guitar shop by my home when I lived up in north miami, so I looked up the number and called them. Wont you know that they have a decent luthier (actually builds his own guitars) :) He checked out the bass and said he'd fix the cracks (he found another one down the neck) for $50 and that I'd have it by tuesday. Not bad huh? :D Thanks guys for all your help; and especially 202dy for insisting on me scouring the area for a luthier. I feel better letting a pro do this work so that I don't have to worry about any problems later on. Thanks again guys!

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Dude, I gotta be honest. I'm jealous of your Wal. I've played one owned by a friend, and it KILLS.

I'm also shocked you would even consider fixing it yourself. I'd seek out the finest luthier in the region and beg them to fix it for me. Suck up the cost.

Bottom line: if you attempt to do it yourself and really screw things up, think about how you'll feel at that point. Do you really want to wreck your irreplaceable bass? To me, the peace of mind gained by having an expert fix such a valuable bass would be money well spent.

4. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yeah, that's what I was convinced of in the end. The repair seemed so trivial, but then I thought about it...I don't want to take any chances. ;)
    ...speaking of which, I've got an avatar that needs updating.