1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some rack effects guidance

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bloodfist, May 4, 2006.

1. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Hey guys, I've been looking into adding a rack mount effects for my current rig. In my previous rig the head I used had most of the effects I use, and I had used a couple of pedals. That was a peavy, now I'm an ampeg guy through and through. Since the closest I could give yall to my bass playing style is along the lines of the bassisat from tool. I generally don't like to sit behind the guitarist if you know what i mean. What I'm looking for is something that can switch between flanges, chorus, reverb, distortion, and delay with one pedal to control everything. I know alot of you use pedals, and customized pedal boards, but I would prefer to stay away from that as I've never had a really good experience with pedals other than wah. Any guidance yall might have would be great, and so you know the rig I'm using is the SVT3- PRO , 410 -hlf, and spector basses. Effects are not a neccesity at the moment, I'm just looking at adding a little more color to my licks if you know what I mean, and would just prefer to keep everything rack mounted. Thanks guys!

2. Big D

Big D

May 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    The Rocktron Xpression does a good job at flange, chorus, delay and reverb but does not have distortion/overdrive. I think it runs about $299 and it is MIDI controllable. I am using the Boss GT-6B now and am pretty happy, and it does just about everything you could think of, but as many have said on here, the wah is so-so and I am not totally satisfied with the compressor (as compared to a DBX 160A). The Xpression also has compression but I never used it and used a DBX 160A instead.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Have you checked out the old Ibanez UE400 or UE405? Seems like they would go really well with the Ampeg sound and vibe.

4. there is also the line 6 POD pro, and there is also the ART Nightbass SE, which is controlled by the X-15, i wouldn't say that you'd be able to get the tool sound, as the effects are pretty warm, but they are certainly usable, and there is also the Lexicon MPX G2, which works well with bass

5. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    My suggestion to get yourself started is to hook yourself up with an old Alesis unit, preferably a Quadraverb or later, ignore the GT version as the preamp is garbage. If you can find one that's only been used in the studio it should be in good condition, and they are often very cheap for what you get.

All that is required is a simple midi pedal like the Roland FC50, or the Digitech Control 8 if you want a continuous controller pedal.

Now, I did say the preamp in the Quadraverb GT is useless, but that's not entirely so: you can set up a good distortion pedal in the fx loop of the GT, and gate it if required, and turn the loop on and off in various patches.

cheers,

6. Price range?

7. quadraverbs are about 100 bucks according to prepal

8. No, what is the price range Bloodfist is looking to stay within?

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    With a name like Bloodfist, he's probably looking to pay in scalps.

10. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Yea I pay in scalps lol. I'm honestly not really concerned with price range. Of course I don't wanna pay more than my amp lol. You guys are being a great help, thanks.

11. JES

JES Supporting Member

Rocktron Replifex has stunningly good echo and modulation fx for live playing and can be controlled with MIDI. I recommend that in the FX loop and a dedicated distortion pedal in front of your amp.

--JES