Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need something to boost output to soundcard

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi!

What do you think I need to boost the output level of my bass to sufficient levels for my soundcard? It works perfectly with my preamp's "Preamp Out", but when my preamp goes to the rehearsal room, I'll need something for home, too.
    Is there such a thing as this? Well, apart from preamps, of course :p Are these DIs with gain? What should be the output voltage?
    Thanks

2. as you said, any preamp.
    some of the mxr pedals are good booster/preamps. I often use the mxr micro amp as a bass preamp and it sounds great.

i find that the signal from my active sterling doesn't require any kind of preamp whereas my jazz bass certainly does.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So a preamp, you say? :meh:
    maybe I'll try to build a pedal-like box that has a gain boost.
    Anyway, thanks.

4. All you really need is to get the signal up to a level that is easy to adjustand add color to the sound to round it off a bit. Some people really like the little tube preamps from ART, but I prefer a solid state device. A tube screamer with the drive down low works pretty well too. I use a POD or just go straight into a mixer to the soundcard.