1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to boost output volume.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mattscud55, Nov 21, 2010.

1. mattscud55

mattscud55

Nov 21, 2010
    Albany, NY
    I have an Ampeg SVT3-Pro working with a SWR Henry the 8x8. I just need a little more volume. I have an MXR di+ pedal that I use for a little more oomph, but I really want to keep my tone. Should I invest in a higher end pre-amp/DI like a SansAmp, or something else?

I know other people have had problems with the Ampeg SVT3-Pro not pumping enough sound, but what is the best way to attack this?

Thanks!

2. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Not for sure if this will solve your issue or not but check out the Bass RC Booster. I a similar situation where I need a little more output w/ my CS64 when switching between other basses that have a hotter output. I've been recommended the Bass RC Booster and is stated as very transparent when set flat and it also has true bypass.

Check out the link below. Good luck w/ your search.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if your rig won't get loud enough, it won't get loud enough; boosting the preamp signal won't change that. (just like you can't get more horsepower out of your car by pushing harder on the gas pedal.)

that said, cutting lows and boosting mids and highs will make the bass sound louder in the mix.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    A Sansamp will color your sound far more than the M-80.

5. you could keep the svt3-pro as your preamp and get a separate power amp with more juice.

6. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Are you sure ? I run a preamp into a power amp, and have found big differences in output volume based on the preamps I`ve used. Same basses, same amp, same cabs. Use a different pre, maxed, Eq flat = volume change.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    to me, that means your rig still has more power in reserve (i.e., headroom), and that some of those preamps just have more gain at certain settings than others. you should be able to crank any of them to the point your power amp goes into clipping.

the impression i got was that the OP was driving his rig as hard as it would go, and it still wasn't loud enough. driving the input harder would just add distortion.

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Add a cabinet.

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    have you tried turning up the master volume?

10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

more cabinets (check the ohms rating).. or have everyone turn down.. or run you through monitors.

Sounds like turning down would be prudent.

11. Using a compressor sometimes can give the impression of the sound being louder, the downside is that you'll loose dynamic range.