1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need To Pick a new Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ricky P., Sep 24, 2010.

1. Ricky P.

Ricky P.

Sep 23, 2010
    Florida
    I have been wanting a new bass forever now.I want A really Good one that is top Quality.I already have a Mexican STD P bass and it is awesome.I have been playing Bass for around 2 years and i have been i one band.

I have Been looking at 3 Bass's.But i have only played one of them and was seeing if any of you guys have.here Are the bass's im looking At.

1.Rickenbacker 4003
    2.Fender P bass 1962
    3.Gibson SG Bass(This is the one I played)

I Love the Rickenbacker 4003,It looks awesome and i also love the classic look and Sound.The Fender P bass Is also Awesome,I love Classic Fenders a lot.I played the Gibson SG At GC once and I loved the Tone and the way it felt was Awesome too.Tell me What you Guys think :)

2. circlechange

circlechange

Sep 29, 2009
    Red Bank
    Id Play as many as you can out of as many cabs as you can find. Out of that List Id say go with the 1962 p bass and be done with it. Best of both worlds with that bass, fat lows with some punch. I played a mexican jazz and a spector for a while and I just got a MM stingray today......Its unparrallel! Insane lows, crazy punchy mids(sounds like im slapping when Im not) and the bass has incredible action. Try one out!

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Ricky. You really need to play a Ric. People generally seem to love or hate them(I love 'em). The '62 P is an awesome bass, but don't know if it'd be worth the upgrade for you since you already have a P. The SG is also a cool bass, but like the Ric, can be love or hate. You seem to love it, so...

IMHO, they're all very cool basses. Just up to you to decide what you want.

4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    best thing I can tell you i sto play them all before you buy anything.
    Rics have a great look and a definitive sound but I've seen a lot of comments saying they are not very comfortable to play, especially for fingerstyle players. I've never played one myself so I'm not speaking from 1st hand experience.

On the plus side, if you buy a Ric and end up not liking it, you can probably sell it and recoup most of your investment-they seem to hold value well.

5. bluesdragon

bluesdragon

Mar 23, 2010
    Hey good luck with your decision.. My two cents is this: Buy the bass that is right for you.. I am not a fan of gibson basses with the exception of the Thunderbird. The fender is obviously a great find but very big$$$ and you stand the chance of having some neck problems or electronic problems. You better keep your eye on it in clubs ... instruments do get ripped off!! My bass is a 2010 Ric.. I just got it and it is by far the best rock bass I have ever owned. way more versitile than the fender.. I know I have both... Good Luck

6. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    agreed! Play them all and don't be afraid to try out something different. If you have a Fender P, stay with that and get something different. SG basses are not for everyone nor are Rics....GO with what you like...and what feels good and plays well. I like Rics (A LOT!) but that is my preference....

7. If you don't choose the 62 P,and you'd be stupid if you didn't, :) tell me so that I can buy it!! And as stated above, play a Ric. The tone is not for everyone.

8. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    You should be asking yourself; what is the other sound in my head I'm going for?
    If your P bass has a rosewood fingerboard, then is the '62 a maple neck so at least you'll have a totally different sounding one (or maybe, single vs. split coil or bridge / string thru body or have one with roundwounds & one with flatwounds to have more options soundwise). If you feel you need a more comfortable neck than the P you have, going for the SG might be a cool alternative too (since they're short-scale). Or, if you are looking for a better bass to dig in with a pick IMO; surely the Rickenbacker is the right one for you... Well anyway, hope that helps & good luck on deciding!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021