Needing a new 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Oct 13, 2021.

1. I need to add a new 1x15 cab as a standalone to my rig, as my Avatar SB112 is just not cutting iot for larger gigs. I have PA support, need something under 50 lbs, and used/inexpensive. I had planned to reaquire an Avatar 115, but it is bulky and 59 lbs. I see a few Acoustic BN115 (neo) models about on GC's used site for a bit less than another Avatar. At 47 lbs. and 24x24x16, they look perfect for my limited needs (primarily as a stage monitor). Anyone tried these newer Acostic cabs? I know their amp heads are not great, but these look pretty good. Of course, they're Chinese made and do not have a great rep but any thoughts would be welcome. I'm older, and the 10 lbs. would make a difference.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Have you tried tilting/raising the cab? A budget 115 might not outperform your current cab.

BassNugget, smogg, dbsfgyd1 and 4 others like this.
  3. I have tried that, and it helps to some extent. Also considering a Fender Rumble 115; not sure if that would be considered a "budget" cab, but I sure like the idea of it being only 39 lbs. That said, the Avatar SB112 is a great cab and has done a lot of what anyone could ask.

4. Blue Moose

Blue Moose

Oct 8, 2009
    I'm in the same boat and will probably wind up going with a Rumble 115 (although I wish I had bought one before the $100 price increase).

BrentSimons and Orpheus55 like this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    While it may be lighter, a Rumble cab won't necessarily outperform your Avatar...especially if it has the Delta LF speaker which is a high end USA made speaker as opposed to the budget Chinese speaker in the Rumble.

shoot-r likes this.
  6. Mine has the Deltalite 2 neo ($25 upcharge at the time).

7. I had good success with a 2x10 for a long time; a better fit in my trunk and condo closet for sure.

bigdaddybass12 and shoot-r like this.
  8. Blue Moose

Blue Moose

Oct 8, 2009
    My last gig cab was a 4x10 Avatar with Deltalites. Killer cabinet, wish I hadn't sold it.

9. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Can’t go wrong with a Hartke HD115 or HD210.

I have a 210 and it punches very well with my Tech21 head for small gigs.

Fairly light too.

10. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I hate to recommend the more expensive option but sometimes bag end fifteens do come up for cheap.

tone perfection. 45 pounds. Two of them can do every gig you’d want.

Murch, Keger Jupti and BasturdBlaster like this.
  11. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    You may wish to also consider the Ampeg Rocket Bass 115 since you are looking at the Rumble.

elberon likes this.
  12. Gallien-Krueger CX115 300W 1x15 $449 35lb [should be able to get 10-15% off] also GK 15 NEO III used $329 at Musicians friend

13. i would advise to be very careful when it comes to mix matching cabs, not saying don’t, but it’s a little more complicated that just picking out a speaker size.

14. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    Markbass 151 is 48 lbs

Plain Old Barry likes this.
  15. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    MESA SUBWAY! ;)

16. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    In my collection is an MB Traveler 151P, and it's a worthy 1x15 candidate. I use it at varying times with a TT-800 or Little Mark III, alone or sometimes paired with one or two 2x10 102P's.

staurosjohn, themickster and SJan3 like this.
  17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Work some overtime and save up for a Mesa Subway 115.

WarwickE36, Kukulkan61, ELG60 and 4 others like this.
  18. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Your best option would be to add another 12 that is the same model as the one you currently have. Adding another 12 will make a big difference.

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Subway 115

Ampeg PN115

Fender Rumble 115

Fender bassman 115

Harley benton 115

Never tried Acoustic anything. Can't vouch for them.

20. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    I also would recommend selling a kidney or kid and buying a Subway 115.

If you remain fond of your organs and offspring, however, here is another recommendation. I recently bought a pair of the previous gen GK NEO III 12" cabs, and they are phenomenal for the price and weight. I leave them at church along with a Tone Hammer 500 and we just completed 4 nights of revival services. I had 3 compliments on the bass tonight.

The 40lb 115 is still available at SW with 0%/24 months on their credit card. Gallien-Krueger Neo 115-III 1x15" 500-watt Cabinet with Horn 8-Ohm

My guy Matt South gave me a great price on the pair. (about an additional 20% off the already lowered price) Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Gizmot and son_of_mogh like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021